Spring & Summer clothes- new ones needed

Nmmsg
on 4/13/14 9:40 pm, edited 4/13/14 9:59 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

When I put my clothes away in October, I saved the best ones thinking they may fit with alterations.  I tried them yesterday and it is useless to keep them.  So the good news is that we make dramatic leaps without realizing that it happened.  The proof is in the pants!  I have about 10 lbs more to lose so I think it is safe to buy the clothes.  I don't have a choice anyway.  I have only 3 pairs of dress pants for work so shopping coming soon.   

I am still in awe of the changes that I see in myself- a journey well worth taking.  For anyone considering this surgery, go for it.  Be aware some people do have significant problems as noted on this forum.  I have been lucky to be healthy all the way.

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Christine M.
on 4/13/14 10:44 pm
VSG on 04/10/13

I took my spring/summer clothes out of the attic last night. I barely have a wardrobe either.  Its definitely not a bad thing.  But I know I felt stressful in the fall/winter purchasing so many clothes and now I'm feeling anxious again.  I think its because I've never been a shopper because of my large size.   Now I can fit into so many things, that its just a matter of what will look good on me. Happy Shopping to you!!

Jiliana2
on 4/13/14 10:57 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

It feels so good, doesn't it? I'm not even three months post-op and all my summer clothes from last year are HUGE on me. I spent a couple of hours trying on things this past weekend and I ended up with two garbage bags full of stuff to donate. In fact, I posted on Facebook that I had tons of clothes that no longer fit me and one of my girlfriends asked if she could come to try it all on. You never know; maybe some of my stuff will work for her!

I don't want to buy replacement clothing yet as I still have a long way to go, but luckily here in my city, I can avail of the Weight Loss Closet that local WLS patients have established. Essentially, you donate items to the closet that you no longer can use, and you can take from the closet what you need... for free. It's set up in a member's basement at the moment and there are racks and shelves of almost everything you could want or need! I'll keep a few key items to have altered when my weight loss slows down, but for now, to the closet it is! Thank goodness we have an exchange night coming up at the end of April. Temperatures are finally warming up and I need some t-shirts!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Stacy_WLS
on 4/13/14 11:06 pm

Congratulations!  It is such an amazing feeling isn't it.  

I have been getting some new clothes b/c I can't go to work in a burlap sack, but I need to be careful b/c I already shrunk out of some before I had a chance to wear them (returns!).  

Check out ThreadUp.com.  I have been sending my big clothes in there.  It is an online consignement store.  I use the money they give me for my old clothes to buy some "new" clothes.  

Keep up the hard work!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Tracy D.
on 4/13/14 11:43 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Right there with you -- had my surgery last May and had enough in my closet to see me through to the fall...then I had to buy a bunch!  Now I'm looking at my closet and I have absolutely NOTHING that isn't a sweater or heavy knit.  I warned my husband that I'll need to bust out the credit card soon ;-)  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Chrissy W.
on 4/14/14 12:17 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

If you think you'll still go down a size or two, don't break the bank on expensive clothes that you'll just have to either 1) pay to have altered, or 2) chuck in the "donate" pile. I'm telling you, find the Goodwill or thrift store in the "nice" neighborhood of your town and see what you can find there before going to "full price" stores :) Goodwill is alway****or-miss, but if you go often enough, you'll find some good stuff! For instance, today, I'm wearing a top from Talbots (probably $70 new) that I bought at Goodwill for about $1.50!

Become a thrift shopper, girl!

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

TruemansMom
on 4/14/14 1:39 am
VSG on 06/24/13

I have managed to shrink a few of the wool tops but otherwise I have been living in cloths from the 90's and now 80's- I only kept things I really loved but some look like they are from the 80's! I'm 10-20 pound from goal and I went a little hog wild this weekend at Cold Water Creek. 40% off everything since they are closing and the selection was still good. I'm set until Fall, except the pants, which are always hard. And now I don't look like a throwback:)  at least not everyday :)

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

cindylou59
on 4/14/14 11:56 am

Consignment stores are great.  Next is thrift stores. I am not too proud to buy clothes at either. I have bought just a few pieces as I have went down in size.  Walmart has a nice selection of basics- jeans, tshirts, dress shirts, etc. Add scarves, accessories, etc. that you can use with any size.  Just buy a few things.

I also realized, I do not need nearly as many clothes as I thought I did. I had multiple sizes before. Boxes of clothes that were packed away in hopes I would wear them again some day.  They are ALL gone!  And it feels good to shed the clothes, like I am shedding the weight.

I have a new rule...if I don't wear it in the season, then it goes! 

I gave all of  my old clothes to a person in my community that I new was having a difficult time financially. She said she had been praying about some clothes to wear for her new job, then I called.

You can be a blessing to someone!

betony63
on 4/14/14 12:23 pm

"You can be a blessing to someone"

Love this! 

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

pineview01
on 4/14/14 12:22 pm - Davison, MI

Yep, don't get to crazy.  I bought size 14 shorts from LB as it is there smallest size and was my goal.  I wasn't able to take them back (same way with the stuff I got from Wal-mart) as they wouldn't take them back after 90 days.  So I have stuff with tags.  

I was donating cloths and many of them still had there tags.  Many I had bought because the fit but, didn't wear them as I didn't like how I looked.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active