Whats your VSG eating Style and Why

maybebaby
on 4/17/14 4:40 pm - ID
VSG on 02/21/14

That's me! I'm a total hot mess right now! I think I need to regroup. 

Don't dream it. Be it. 

Bufflehead
on 4/17/14 7:49 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

aww, thanks Frisco! And I appreciate your point about keeping off the weight that you lost. As I get closer to goal (only 29 lbs away! Which may seem like a lot to some people but I started out 200 lbs away from goal so to me it seems unbelievably close) I've been thinking a lot about maintenance and the plan and rules I'll need there. I watch what the successful vets do here very carefully -- but I also really pay attention to the common factors with the vets who are struggling, because I want to learn from them too. I think having rules and a plan for life is going to be essential for me.

cappy11448
on 4/17/14 11:51 am

I basically follow my surgeons program with the exception that I am low carb.  I decided this because if I eat carbs, I start craving more carbs, and they will defeat me.  So I keep carbs under 25 per day.

I eat three meals a day.  3.5 ounces of dense protein first and a small serving of a low carb veggie.  I get 80 to 100 g protein a day, about 25 g of carbs per day and about 1000 calories a day at one year post op.  The calorie count was 600 to 800 for the first six months, but has been creeping up with time, as I find I need a little more to feel satisfied.  I'm within 10 pounds of my goal, so this makes sense to start slowing down the weight loss a little.

My program stresses avoiding snacks - probably out of concern for avoiding grazing behavior.  This regimen is working well for me.  I've lost 196 pounds in about 15 months and I'm approaching my goal weight.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Plumlove
on 4/17/14 11:58 am

cappy11448 thanks for the response! Congrats on being so close to goal- awesome work! My nut did also say to try and stay away from snacking. At most I could have 1 snack per day but she prefers 3 meals and no snacking - no soups either. So this liquid diet should be the last time i get to really enjoy a lot of soup.

Thanks again!

frisco
on 4/17/14 1:58 pm

Cappy,

Very impressive numbers !!!!

Go Go Go !!!!!

Just awesome !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Plumlove
on 4/17/14 12:05 pm

Folks, have any of you tried using the new whey protein tubes? Is it a good protein for WLS people?

gabby169kitty
on 4/17/14 12:05 pm, edited 4/17/14 12:06 pm

I'm still 6 or so months away from surgery but I already know I'm going high protein, low carb and not worry much about healthy fats. I have 2 main reasons for this; the most satisfying diet I've ever been on was high protein and low carb (not quite Atkins low), the second reason is from all the research I've done this seems to be the way the most successful WLS losers eat.

Edited to add:

I believe mindful eating should be incorporated into any eating style.

Surgery will be hopefully in October or November 2014, with Dr. Megan Gilmore

Plumlove
on 4/17/14 12:17 pm

Thanks for the post gabby169kitty! I does seem like many successful folks go that route. Totally agree about mindful eating. I like a less esoteric version of mindful eating but all in all it makes sense. Way to go on getting prepared of your surgery!

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/14 12:29 pm

I didn't choose my food plan, I chose a doctor instead.  I spent a very long time researching the doctors, their programs, success rate and complication rates.  I chose a doctor that had spectacular long term stats and committed to following his program.  He gave me a detailed and very strict eating plan and told me to follow it exactly or as close as I possibly could.  He showed me that I would be successful beyond my wildest dreams if I did what he told me.  He gave me goals and specific milestones to reach.  I did and still do what he asks of me.  Honestly, if he told me to eat cardboard, I think I would have asked how much.  I was ready to do whatever it took to lose and maintain the weight loss.  The basic program is easy, under 800 calories, under 40 carbs, over 80 grams of protein.  Eat lean protein and fiber rich veggies.  Eat as few calories as possible while still getting your protein needs met.  It was pretty simple.  I lost 97 lbs. in 6.5 months and reached my goal.  I have maintained eating 1500-1800 calories every since, or about 4.5 years.  

Plumlove
on 4/17/14 12:45 pm

Hello Elina_7 and thanks for the response! Congrats on not only meeting goal but on doing the pre-work to find out such specifics before deciding on your surgeon and coming up with a perfect fit for you! The basic program sounds pretty consistent with what many have noted as their program through the weightless phase. Again, another very specific program. Well done. I live in a smaller suburb of Chicago but I chose a well known and renowned teaching hospital in Chicago about 1 hr away without traffic - Rush University. My Surgeon has done 100's of the VSG and many many corrections and has had 1 complication. I trust the institution and the doctors having been there for 2/3 of my child births. That was  good for me. Turns out my basic plan is a tad more flexible... 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views