Whats your VSG eating Style and Why

gabby169kitty
on 4/17/14 1:40 pm

"Whatever I put in my mouth has to move me forward in reaching my weight loss goal."   I've never heard it put that way before.

Surgery will be hopefully in October or November 2014, with Dr. Megan Gilmore

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/17/14 3:31 pm, edited 4/17/14 3:32 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I also didn't choose a food plan, chose my surgeon for his cutting skills and low to no complication rate. He delivered exactly this. A great cut. He has virtually no after care programme, no nutritionist, no group support sessions, nothing really. He gave me an eating plan as an example, something he worked out with a nutritionist some years ago. There was also no liquid diet before oe after, food progression post op was based on what I tolerated so I was very quickly on a regular diet. 

I eat pretty much everything or rather have eaten pretty much everything. My regular diet consists of protein first, veggies and fruit second and some starches if there is room. There never is. I log my food fairly consistently and fairly accurately. I would say that pretty much everything I have eaten since surgery has been mindful and by choice. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Plumlove
on 4/19/14 7:35 am

Hey Julia,

Thanks for this contribution. That took guts - to decide on this knowing that you would need to rely more on your own research and methods for after care - kuddos. I also think its important for me and others to hear that yes, there are very successful VSG ers that don't necessarily try to be low carb. My nut also told me no to think of it as low card to change my thought process to protein first, then veggies and if room them starch. 

isign4u
on 4/17/14 3:33 pm

I am also from the Chicago burbs.  My plan is 4 ounces of dense protein three times per day. I am a little over four months out and the key to my success has been to measure everything I eat and log it in MFP.  I get between 60 - 80 grams of protein, under 40 in carbs, around 600 in calories, and I don't worry much about fat.  I was able to eat four ounces at each meal the first week.  I don't get full like other people, but I have yet to ever feel hungry.  I have learned to be okay with that.  Head hunger is a completely different animal. Try not to compare yourself to others.  Take it from someone who started making herself crazy because so many people could eat much less than I.  Follow your doctor's plan and you will lose the weight.  Good luck!

"One mistake does not a day make"        
Plumlove
on 4/19/14 7:39 am

Heu isign4u! Great to hear from someone in the same area! So awesome and in my current thinking surreal to know that I may not fear actual hunger - hmmm. Head hunger I know will be a strong foe. But I am planning on continuing some therapy for that as wel - to help get some better coping skills. Thanks again and I will TRY no to compare :(  :)

Nmmsg
on 4/17/14 8:52 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

I eat pretty much the same everyday.  I have protein powder in my coffee to start my day.  Then midmorning I have 80 calorie Greek yogurt with a few slices of peaches packed in water.  Lunch is lean meat- 2oz and salad and small amt full fat dressing.  Dinner again is meat or fish - and a vegetable.  I just started eating fruits again. I will eat part of a fruit- not a whole one yet.  I occasionally have almonds and definitely eat low cal popcorn with sea salt.  I rarely eat any other starch.  I am 7lbs from goal and this has worked well for me.  I am short - 5'2" and plan to eat like this general plan.  I feel comfortable eating like this.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Plumlove
on 4/19/14 7:41 am

Nancy, Thanks for posting. Sounds like a well balanced doable plan. I am about 5'3 though in my mind Im 5'4 :-)

happyteacher
on 4/17/14 10:43 pm

During the weightloss phase

High protein 110 average

Carbs 150 average, 30 net at meals, 15 net at snacks

Carbs were high quality- veggies, fruit, minimal whole grain no rice no pasta no processed (or at least very little)

Calories gradually increased as the months went by topping out at 1200 by month 5

Why? Too much carb at one sitting triggers a flood of insulin, which then triggers hunger, cravings, and calories stored to fat.  It is not that carbs are bad.... just too many at one time is!  I am also a hypoglycemic so doing the under 40 thing didn't work for me. 

I ate awesome choices, balanced meals, and never felt deprived.  I exercised at least 1 hour a day 6 days a week.  No problem getting to goal at all, and no problem maintaining so far. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Plumlove
on 4/19/14 7:43 am

Hi Happy Teacher, Thanks for sharing this. Again, so happy to hear from all styles of eating. I like the part on "Carbs were high quality- veggies, fruit, minimal whole grain no rice no pasta no processed (or at least very little" Thats an important point and I often wonder how healthy it is to never eat many good veggies that are healthy carbs... Thanks! 

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 4/17/14 11:46 pm

I have Binge Eating Disorder and since my 20s (now 52) I have read and attempted to follow the advice of Geneen Roth.  it kind of boils down to wait until you are hungry to eat and stop when you aren't hungry any more and NOTHING is off limits. because of this, I believe, I was a light weight when I finally had WLS and had "only" 100 pounds to lose. 

I kept that vision of eating in a normal, non obsessive way and while I did count protein at first just to see what that was like - and I continue in maintenance to be aware of protein - I search for what is healthy for me in both food and behavior.

I am not typical of this forum in that I do not believe I have to eat only a certain number of carbs but for the first, I don't know, 6 months at least I was super low carb just because I couldn't fit IN very much at all. very tight sleeve and much more restriction than I think is typical.

also, the counting (carbs, calories) that most people do is bad for me, in that it triggers my unhealthy habits: as in OMG, I can't have a donut...therefore all I can think about is having a freakin donut!!!

if I honestly let myself have EVERYTHING and ANYTHING (and this isn't nearly as simple as it sounds) then I mostly don't want a donut. seriously!

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 50 views