What's wrong with me I can't stop eating 3mth post op!!!

Thenewfab
on 4/23/14 12:24 pm

Why am I so hungry wasn't the hunger hormone removed???? I am desperate I have only lost 24lb in my first 3mths, but I am always hungry! I feel this might be one more fail.  :(

Gwen M.
on 4/23/14 12:32 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

What are you eating?  Please be specific.  

How much water are you drinking?  

Are you taking a PPI? 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

gabby169kitty
on 4/23/14 1:04 pm

Are you eating solid protein first and following the no drinking 30 min before and no drinking 30 min after eating?

Surgery will be hopefully in October or November 2014, with Dr. Megan Gilmore

Thenewfab
on 4/23/14 1:36 pm

No the truth is my doctor never gave me a diet to follow after the first 3weeks. So if just eat small portions but I am all day long. There are days like yesterday and today I have been hungry all day and I end up going falling bk to old habits and eat horrible. I am soooo angry at myself for always giving food so much power over me!

gabby169kitty
on 4/23/14 1:42 pm, edited 4/23/14 1:43 pm

uggg, I think it's highly unethical for surgeons to do the surgery and not give people proper instructions. As you're figuring out now it's more of a head game than anything. Here is the Mayo Clinic post surgery diet. Mayo Clinic post surgery diet  it says it's for gastric bypass but it is applicable to where you're at now.

Edit to add: I'm working through a book called Eat What you Love, Love What You Eat by Michelle May. It's all about the head game and mindful eating. The Beck Diet Solution is also a really good book to check out, it's about the cognitive and behavioral approach to dieting, it's not a diet book per say.

Surgery will be hopefully in October or November 2014, with Dr. Megan Gilmore

Thenewfab
on 4/23/14 1:58 pm

Thank you so much I will look for those books.

My surgery was in MX and even though my doc did a great sleeve and was wonderful during my stay and my 1st  3 weeks, I was not given a diet plan nor set me up with a nut. I asked for meal plan or vitamins do I need to take? He said I will lose no matter what due to the size of my sleeve. To only give it a year.     

themexcellentone
on 4/23/14 2:44 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

There is so much more to this than just letting the sleeve restrict your eating.

I would recommend getting hooked up with a support group in your local area if possible.  Your doc definitely set you up for failure.  Also, aim for 60-80 grams of protein daily, a minimum of 64 oz of water (more is better, lots of folks shoot for 100 oz or more), and MOVE as much as you are able/have time for.  Eating small, planned meals throughout the day is good but don't let yourself graze, which is what it sounds like you're doing.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/23/14 3:56 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Not necessarily unethical at all. If they are saying it upfront, that they only cut, I think that is totally legit. I had one of the leading VSG surgeons do mine and I KNEW upfront that there would be nothing extensive post op. Heck I don't even live on the same continent as my surgeon! So you gotta take the respinsibility for doing your research and getting yourself organized post op and figuring out a plan. It is totally doable without your surgeon. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

MsBatt
on 4/25/14 12:42 am
On April 23, 2014 at 10:56 PM Pacific Time, Julia HasHerLifeNow wrote:

Not necessarily unethical at all. If they are saying it upfront, that they only cut, I think that is totally legit. I had one of the leading VSG surgeons do mine and I KNEW upfront that there would be nothing extensive post op. Heck I don't even live on the same continent as my surgeon! So you gotta take the respinsibility for doing your research and getting yourself organized post op and figuring out a plan. It is totally doable without your surgeon. 

So very true. It's all about taking personal responsibility to educate yourself about how to live long-term with the WLS you choose.

pineview01
on 4/23/14 1:56 pm - Davison, MI

I am sorry but doctors like yours make me so mad.  They are setting you up to fail.  You need a program for life after surgery and it doesn't stop at 3 weeks.  Heck I wasn't even on a "regular" diet for 8 weeks.

Make sure you are getting a minimum of 64 oz water a day.  You need an minimum of 64 g protein (80-120 on my program).  If you have acid it can mimic hunger and so our center puts us on a ppi 2X a day for a year ( took 2 a day for 6 months and 1 a day for the next 6 months.)

Some program say to not drink 30 minutes before and after eating, some say 15 before and at least 30 after and some just say don't drink with and 30 minutes after.  The common theme is don't drink while eating and for at least 30 minutes after.

I am guessing your doctor doesn't have a support group for you to attend.  If not can you find a local group or even a OA group?  I also highly recommend getting some therapy if it is at all possible.  I didn't with my band but have with my sleeve and it is making a big difference.  At the very least hang here with us for support.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active