From self hate to self love - a peaceful meditation

acbbrown
on 4/27/14 12:45 am - Granada Hills, CA

This is something I found extremely helpful in my recent journey. Its from a Hindu Monk named Kirpal Venanji.

"Break your heart no longer. Each time you judge yourself, you break your heart. You stop feeding on the love that is the well-spring of your vitality, but now the time has come, your time to live, to celebrate, and to see the goodness that you are. There is no evil, no wrong in you or in any other. There is only the thought of it, and the thought has no substance. You are dear, devine, and very very pure. Let no one, no thing, no idea, or ideal obstruct you. If one comes even in the name of truth, forgive the thought for its unknowing. Do not fight it, just let go, and breathe into the goodness that you are". 

This is really true for those really nasty things we tell ourselves - the ones we would never dare say to another person, but mostly because we would think any other person would deserve to hear those things. I know for me, I am my own worst enemy and critic, and I can think some pretty horrible things about myself - especially when I eat too much, the scale goes up, i look in the mirror, etc. 

So, ive done a couple things to help. One, I read this often. I have a poster on my wall to remind me. I also made a poster of all the positive, loving, nurturing things I want to believe about myself, and say them out loud often. At first I didnt believe any of it, didn't think it would work to help me at all. But as ive gone through that process, ive finding myself actually believing them, and replacing those negative thoughts. 

The less and less that I hear those negative tapes in my head, I find my relationship with food changing. Im not evil for eating carbs, i didnt ruin my life because I had an unplanned snack, etc. Its a lot easier to check in with my body and pay attention to my body instead of being stuck inside my head all the time. 

If anyone wants to talk more about this, feel free to PM me. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Jenny C.
on 4/27/14 1:37 am

Hi Allison!!

I having been working at self-acceptance for a long time, it is difficult work.  I love the quote!  It is easy to fall into established harmful patterns of how we internally speak to ourselves.  I feel so strongly that self-acceptance is crucial to a healthful life.  Our relationships with everyone are affected by how kind we are to ourselves!  

Thanks for posting this,

Jenny

krabbyhermit
on 4/27/14 3:01 am

Wow! I just posted my topic, which was all negative, and there your post was!  Thanks for helping without even knowing it. 

I am fully aware I am too negative and hard on myself. It's just hard not to be when I see I'm failing myself. Nobody else can take this journey for me! I have to take each and every step myself. I'm just no good at lifting my foot and taking that first step. I never used to give it any thought. I was a type A personality who did everything for myself, by myself. After the brain injury, not so much movement anymore. 

Thanks for the post.

acbbrown
on 4/27/14 9:15 am - Granada Hills, CA

If you ever want to talk more about it, Im more than willing. I have a lot of materials - some of which might benefit you. Send me a PM if you're interested. 

~~~~Alison~~~~~

happyteacher
on 4/27/14 7:36 am

I can relate to this.  I try to make a habit daily to at least remind myself that I should be gentle with myself.  I am grateful for your post- it is the reminder I needed. Thank you friend!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

drea29
on 4/27/14 9:05 am

Thank you so much for posting.  How do you know I needed to read this.  I too will print it out as a reminder. I sometimes hesitate to post certain things, but you never know who you can help.  Wishing you much peace.

acbbrown
on 4/27/14 9:16 am - Granada Hills, CA

I have so many things on my wall and a little treasure chest with pieces of paper - I can pull out a positive affirmation any time. It seriously helps. 

~~~~Alison~~~~~

butterfly3851
on 4/27/14 10:57 am - TX

I am printing this out!  Wish I didn't have such a bad relationship with food and body image!  Thanks - a perfect mediation!

I've been taking an online course by Brene Brown based on her book "The Gifts of Imperfection - Let Go of Who You Think You're supposed to be and Embrace Who You Are.  During the course, we've been keeping an art journal and I've had to do lots of work on giving myself permission to accept myself as I am, identify what I use to "numb", things I love about myself, things I love to do, work on sleep & play, etc.  It's really been eye-opening - good book and perfect timing as I'm working on myself!

Calaska
on 4/27/14 8:46 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

I looked up this book you mentioned. It looks like just the thing I need. Thanks!

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/14 2:30 am

"You are dear, divine and very pure..."  Yes, that applies to you perfectly.  Hugs my friend. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 40 views