Not-so supportive family... (Venting)

Tina M.
on 4/28/14 11:14 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

My family is not very supportive. Not really for lack of caring, but just because of all the adults, I happen to be the one with the least amount of health issues. I take care of my mom, who has the beginning stages of Alzheimer's, my aunt has MS and recently underwent knee replacement surgery, and her daughter is a Leukemia patient who is in remission. I feel like I'm doing the best that I can to manage things for everyone, but for once, I wish I had someone to focus on me. I have the best friends. They are always motivating and supporting me, but sometimes, I just wish that I had that at home. I guess I'm just feeling a little unappreciated... 

My new life began on April 30th, 2014!  

Start of Pre-Op Diet Weight: 282     Surgery Weight: 268     

stacie914
on 4/28/14 11:17 am

I also struggled with this and then I realized that I had to rely on myself and could not worry about what other people thought or how supportive they were. I know it is hard and there are days were you want someone to be supportive and with my family once I had the surgery they were supportive when they saw that I was committed to the weight loss.  Good Luck and know that everyone on this forum is supporting you!

HW: 369.8  SW: 338.6

Tina M.
on 4/28/14 11:35 am - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

Thank you so much! This site has been amazing! 

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/14 11:35 am - Canada

Being the caregiver is often a thankless job and the people you care for start to think you are so much stronger than them that they have nothing to offer you.  If you can, I don't know the whole situation, try talking to them and asking them for support.  Often people want to do more for you but don't know how they can help...maybe they would welcome your honesty.

In regards to your mother, I feel for you as my mom had dementia.  I pray you find the strength you need to deal with all the changes that will come with this.  It's hard to take care of a parent whom is ill it's even worse watching them fade away mentally.  She is lucky to have you there to help her.  As my mother faded in and out of her memories and reality it was often hard for her to understand what was happening and why she couldn't remember.  Your compassion will help her through and you are lucky to have great friends because you will need them and their support.

God's blessings on you and your family.

Tina M.
on 4/28/14 2:08 pm - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

Thank you. I have talked to them. It doesn't seem to matter. Unfortunately, my family isn't one of those "open discussion" types. I'm kind of used to that. I guess I'm just feeling a little overwhelmed... I appreciate your response. Dementia is very difficult... I'm so sorry you had to watch your mother go through it. I understand why my mom can't be as supportive as she would have been before. I'm trying to be strong for all of us! Thanks again! 

mt_rose112
on 4/28/14 12:08 pm - libby, MT

TINA you didn't say if you have contacted anyone that could help you.  I would contact any powers that be to see if there is any help for you.  I am sorry you are going through this.

Tina M.
on 4/28/14 2:11 pm - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

Thank you so much. I'm actually in touch with the Alzheimer's association in my area. They're going to help me get some assistance for my mom. That's the biggest step for me right now... I need to get on the other side of this surgery so I can get my energy back! I need to get back on track because I have a lot of people counting on me!

Twinsinsept.
on 4/28/14 12:55 pm
VSG on 05/06/14

I'm sorry, Tina. That's hard. I work in a senior living community, so I'm very familiar with Alzheimer's Disease. I'll be thinking of you and know we're all here for you. 

Renee

HW: 345. CW 272

Tina M.
on 4/28/14 2:12 pm - NJ
VSG on 04/30/14

Thank you so much, Renee! This site has been amazing! It's so inspirational to read everyone's stories!

Mary Gee
on 4/28/14 1:12 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

First - I see your surgery is scheduled for tomorrow.  Good Luck and hope you update us when you're "on the other side"!

It's hard to always be the giver and seldom the receiver.  Sometimes you have to step back and take care of yourself.  I took care of my Mom when she couldn't be by herself due to Alzheimer's and then got sick with cancer.  It was difficult, but I was glad to have the opportunity to do it because she did so much for me.

Take care of yourself.  Get some rest  and feel better.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 51 views