Let me introduce myself ..... 6-year LapBander turned VSGer in two weeks....

Celeste H.
on 4/29/14 9:23 am - Cedar Park, TX
Revision on 05/12/14

Just want to introduce myself to the VSG forum, since I'm about to be one of you. I had LapBand in February 2008, lost 150 lbs in 15 months (50% of my body weight), then had a slip due to no reason. (I've had people suggest that it was because of something I had done wrong, which wasn't true. My surgeon even confirmed that.) He removed the saline and it resolved itself, I gained weight, he added saline, I lost weight. Fast forward a few years when I had lost back to my ideal weight of 140 lbs, then I had another slip, possibly attributable to the coughing from undiagnosed pneumonia, although looking back on it, the slip could have been the cause of the coughing which caused the pneumonia. Who knows. Again, he removed the saline and it resolved itself, I gained weight. Eventually I lost back down to my ideal weight and kept it off for a few more years until the fall of 2013. Deep down inside, I knew I was beginning to slip again but I didn't want to acknowledge it, so for a couple of months, I would eat and most of it would come back up. Finally, the week before Christmas, not even water would stay down so I contacted my surgeon who again took the saline out. It didn't resolve itself this time, and I became severely dehydrated and my LapBand totally obstructed my stomach. I had to have emergency removal of the band the day after Christmas. It truly DID end up being an emergency, as my surgeon told me my kidneys were already starting to shut down and I was about two days from being DEAD!

SO, after 4 months of a complete fight of trying to eat right and exercise, but still regaining weight, I've resolved myself to the fact that I NEED a Gastric Sleeve. It is scheduled for May 12. I was self-pay for the LapBand because my insurance wouldn't cover it, and I'll be self-pay for the VSG too. (Luckily and surprisingly, my insurance DID cover the ER and OR, and all of my hospitalization for the removal except my surgeon's fees!)  I'm a Licensed Professional Counselor in Texas and I did the Mental Health Evaluations for  my surgeon for 5 years after I had my LapBand, so I truly know the bariatric life and what I'm getting myself into.

I also know that I do so much better when I'm actively participating in a forum, so here I am! Thankfully, I only have about 70 pounds to lose this time, as opposed to the 150 I had to lose when I had the LapBand. I'm just READY to get going with it!!!!

~Celeste

Celeste in Austin, TX  - Licensed Professional Counselor - Clinical Supervisor 
LapBanded February 18, 2008; 3 slips and nearly a death later, had band removal then a revision to VSG on May 12, 2014; best decision ever!!!        

TexasTerritory
on 4/29/14 9:37 am
VSG on 07/22/13
I had my surgery in Austin

trinoc
on 4/29/14 9:39 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Welcome to the group!  I'm glad you're here.  :-)

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

megan.sherman
on 4/29/14 10:28 am
VSG on 05/17/14

Welcome!

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/14 3:10 pm - Canada

Welcome Celeste,

I'm sorry you've had so many complications but I hope you find health with your new tummy.  I have found the VSG group to be incredibly supportive and just a bunch of all around great people.  I think you'll find the same.  I look forward to seeing you around and joining in.

Blessings, Michelle

Judy700
on 4/29/14 4:16 pm
VSG on 03/11/14 with

Congratulations on being able to finally move forward again.  I have heard of so many people who have to go from Lap Band to sleeve so you are certainly not alone.  Hopefully your experience this time around will be much better.  Best of luck to you!

VSG on March 11, 2014. 60 yo female from Washington, DC area. 

HW: 235  SW: 230  CW: 134.5 (3/23)    M1:-19    M2: -13   M3: -10.4    M4: - 8.2   M5: -6.4    M6: -5    M7: -7.4    M8: -4    M9: -8.6    M10: -5    M11: -3.6    M12:  -1.5 Goal reached 3/23/15 in 1 year + 12 days following surgery.  BMI from 42.1 to 23.9 

Most Active