Getting a revision from sleeve to GBP

Kevin H.
on 4/30/14 11:40 am, edited 4/30/14 9:34 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12

Hello everyone!  I used to be very active here back in early 2012 when I was getting and recovering from my sleeve.  It's been a long journey and I never did reach goal but I did loose as much as 157 lbs.  I stopped loosing after 12 months post op and just stayed the same weight for a long time and now recently have gained a bit back again.  I have been suffering with bad acid reflux since about one month post op.  I was taking Dexilant for a long time now but it has not been working as well as it used to and I'm still having symptoms.

I have been waking up in the middle of the night choking on acid in my throat and nearly aspirated it.  My surgeon said that he recommends getting a revision to GBP and that should take care of most of my acid problems.  I am scheduled for revision to bypass on May 7th and I will be his first ever sleeve to GBP. 

Just wanted to let you all know, those who might remember me and say hello :)  Wish me well on the 7th!  Thanks all :)

mollz007
on 4/30/14 11:47 am
VSG on 02/20/14

Good luck! I hope the revision helps with the acid issues!

check out my blog!

Kevin H.
on 4/30/14 9:32 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12

Thanks so much Mollz!

Shagdoll
on 4/30/14 12:13 pm

Kevin!  Yay!  So happy to have you update us. Hope all is well.  Keep us posted!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Kevin H.
on 4/30/14 9:31 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12

Shagdoll, my OH crush :P  So nice to see your still part of the boards helping out :)

(deactivated member)
on 4/30/14 1:56 pm

Good luck with the revision! Sorry you're having to go through it, but hopefully, you will be far more comfortable when it's done. Hey, should kick start your weight loss, too!

Keep us posted.

Kevin H.
on 4/30/14 9:30 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12

Kairk! So nice to see your still around :)

mickeymantle
on 4/30/14 3:14 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

have you looked into a surgeon with more experience doing this revision, I personally would not want to be any surgeons first

have you tried any other ppi or h2 blockers for your acid

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Kevin H.
on 4/30/14 9:25 pm, edited 4/30/14 9:41 pm - Baltimore, MD
VSG on 02/06/12

Mickey,

While I appreciate the concern, 3 years ago I carefully studied all the surgeons in my area and already chose the one with the most experience.  He has done FAR more then any other surgeon in this area including Johns Hopkins and University of MD (combined.)  He has quite a following in this area and is very popular.  Just because the sleeve has been so successful and I have a very difficult case of acid doesn't mean he isn't good.  There simply are not very many revisions from sleeve to bypass needed.  I am just one of the few people who's acid never went away and I choose not to develop esophageal varices from continuous damage to my esophagus.  As a paramedic with over 20 years of experience in a major metropolitan fire department, I have not taken this lightly and of course I have tried other medications over the past 2 years.  There is no need to go looking for another surgeon when this one knows me, knows my case, etc.  Pretty much half the surgery has already been done.  It's really not as complicated as you may be thinking it is to switch this over to a bypass.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 4/30/14 6:12 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Hi Kevin! I remember you! I even wrote down dexilant to remember in case I needed it after one of your posts. You were so happy with it. Sorry it stopped working for you. Hope the revision goes well! Will think of you next week. Check back and tell us how it goes. And yeah you get a second honeymoon!! Best of luck!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active