Tips please

Mme0x
on 5/2/14 4:15 pm - Ocala, FL

Wls is excluded from my ins. So I am going to be a self pay, I have only got as far as researching,constantly reading everything here on OH, and calling around for prices. What should I do , where should I start? What questions should I ask he doctor before committing to them ? How long usually with self pay does the process take to get going?

Nmmsg
on 5/2/14 10:07 pm, edited 5/2/14 10:07 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

Most self pays go to Mexico.  I did not so I will let others speak about that.  Go to a reputable doctor and place of service.  Read everything you can about the VSG.  You will probably be able to do this quickly since you are a self pay.  It is a life altering decision so be sure to known what you are signing up for- with diet , etcIi did not have any post op issues.  I had surgery out patient.   I had extra medication for nausea pre-op and 1 time post op.  I had a trans abdominal block pre-op and so I had no pain post op. I had the surgery on a Tuesday and returned to work full time the following Monday.  I was tired the first day but no problems.  

The diet progression varies with the dr.  I had clear liquids the day prior to surgery and 2 days post op.  I was then progressed to full liquids.  Most drs have their own guidelines for food progression.  Remember your sleeve is new and you need to be careful to allow it to heal.

Best wishes.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

4jessie
on 5/3/14 12:21 am

I too am a self-pay, I researched Mexico and in Washington state where I live. I ended up having surgery closer to home, paying more of course but very happy. Being self-pay, the requirements were less (no 6 month supervised diet, etc.) I still had to do a sleep study to be cleared for surgery and the standard EKG and blood work. So from the first appointment to surgery it was a couple of months.

I did all my research online, and a lot of it here on this site. Some of my questions/requirements were: facility being a center of excellence for bariatric surgery, my surgeon having done a significant amount of VSG procedures, did he have any deaths, what kind of aftercare was provided (mine is 2 years which rocks).  I was very comfortable with my decision, and it was the best money I have invested ever!!!! Best of luck on your journey :)

Surgery Day 3/20/14 Dr. Peter Billing

Pre-Op 336, Day of Surgery 322, Current Weight 250 (1/1/15) 86 lbs lost

mickeymantle
on 5/3/14 3:06 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

there are some less expensive surgeons in new jersey, Texas and las vegas you need to shop around

but price is not the only thing to look at experience is very important also after care

check what is included so you don't get any surprises , hospital stay after care , pre op testing , support groups

nut

many people go to mexico , but there can be some problems with that , some doctors in the usa will not see you after surgery in Mexico ,

if you have surgery anywhere away from homer you need to plan for after care or emergencies, it is hard to go to Mexico if you have a leak 

if you go with a local surgeon go to a few of his/her support groups before making a decision to see how his/her patients are doing 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Mme0x
on 5/3/14 6:25 am - Ocala, FL

As of now I think I am going to try to stay close to home... The two places/surgeons I was looking into do not have nearly as many vsg as doctors in Mexico for instance. I was looking at doctor ramos in ocala and dr hipp in Gainesville? I am open to any recommendation on either of those or anyone in the central florida area....:)

56sunShine14
on 5/3/14 3:27 am

I picked up a second insurance because the one I had paid for my lap band in 2007 and altho they will pay for the removal, they will not pay for another type of WLS.  So, my new policy pays for the new surgery.

Most Active