Does Ghrelin reduction affect cravings?

Jackie P.
on 5/5/14 5:13 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

Quick question I haven't been able to find an answer to. Does research show ghrelin reduction post surgery affect cravings? 

Surgery Date: April 10, 2013 • VSG

www.fatfornow.com

SATXVSG
on 5/5/14 5:24 am, edited 5/5/14 5:26 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

My surgeon said the hunger would go away for about 6 months, but immediately I had hunger like sensations.  They have decreased since my surgery(April 22) but I still feel a little hunger.   He said other parts of the digestive system produce ghrelin and production will increase over time.  The good news is that drinking water usually gets rid of the hunger now as before surgery, it did not.  It is hard to believe I made it 10 days post surgery on basically water, broth and jello.

BTW, yes I still have some cravings but not nearly as strong.  It would be nice if I could develop a craving for sugar free jello/popsicles.

Jackie P.
on 5/5/14 5:26 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

I'm a year out. I'm finding I am still hungry. That really never changed for me. But my cravings have reduced a lot. Just wondering if that's surgeries doing, or me?! lol

www.fatfornow.com

Spencerella
on 5/5/14 5:42 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

For me, I'd say that physical hunger symptoms were reduced because of grhelin removal, but my cravings I attribute to 'head hunger'.  I associate head hunger with excess carb consumption, boredom, and other negative emotions I feel. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

EmmyK
on 5/5/14 7:34 am - CA
VSG on 04/30/14

Head hunger is the worst.  I couldn't eat them if I tried, but seriously Groupon?  A deal for 2 dozen Krispy Kreme in my email today?

My posts are for general information and do not constitute medical advice.  They should not serve as the basis for any medical decision by you.  Call your physician for advice.  HW 248  SW 233  CW 155

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/5/14 6:19 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

IMHO, cravings tend to come from your head, not your stomach.  Hunger is a separate issue.

After surgery, you won't feel hungry.  Many people mistake hunger after surgery for acid generation in their new stomachs.  A PPI should help that issue.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Jackie P.
on 5/5/14 6:27 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

Thanks everyone!

www.fatfornow.com

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/14 6:58 am - Canada

I endorse this message. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/14 6:26 am

That is a complicated question because cravings come from many different sources.  Yes, ghrelin reduces appetite and with it some desire for food in particular.  However, cravings often come from emotional reasons and those are not really effected.  Over time, ghrelin is produced in other parts of our body to compensate for its reduction in production in our fundus.  For most people, hunger and cravings return but are never as intense as they were before surgery.  Early on, I lost my hunger and most of my cravings, but now, at almost five years out, they are back.  They are not as intense but they do happen especially right before my TOM.  I will always prefer having a cookie to a cabbage or spinach.  I will always look at great French pastries with a little too much interest.  On the other hand, the mind numbing, extreme hunger and cravings that I used to experience before surgery are no longer there.

Blondie0573
on 5/5/14 8:38 am

I had vertical sleeve surgery with 2 hernia repairs on 5/2.  Previous to surgery on the strict 2 week diet I was miserable, I was craving everything and felt hungry constantly.  Now 3  days post op on clear liquids I am NEVER hungry.  None of the food commercials get to me, not even smells.  This is a miracle for me because I have always been tortured by cravings and hunger.  I am still dealing with a lot of pain, that might have something to do with it.  But considering I am having to force feed myself, I think the food addiction may be over.

Most Active