Last 20 lbs. and Maintenance and Stall

mmmesser
on 5/6/14 11:55 am

So...I have 20 more lbs. I want to lose (and I think is appropriate).  I have upped from calories from under 800 a day to under 900 a day (trying to slowly enter maintenance).  I am 9 months post-op and never had a stall (although there is typically the week of my TOM where I would only lose maybe a couple of ounces).  Either way, I weigh myself daily (always have since operation).  I am having to take Metamucil (constipation has continually been an issue here and there).  Anyway, so since starting an increase in calories I have not lost any weight and staying about a half pound give or take with what I have been for a couple of weeks.  I'm not really changing much as far as what I'm eating or drinking...still making priority of protein and liquids with multivitamin and supplements.  Wondering if I should go back down to less than 800 calories a day til I actually get the weight off or continue on my plans of 'walking the line' between the last 20 lbs. while slowly entering maintenance.  Since I never had a stall this is my true first one and it's still early out in it so wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the last 20 lbs. and calories.  I'm also making it a point to increase my fluids while still trying to watch my salt intake as that affects me very easily I have learned as I tend to retain water pretty easily.  I am active and have slowly included more physical activity (biking, walking) but not much more as I don't want to burn out and really am working on my mind as I move into maintenance and have to be careful of too much too soon on my body and with exercise so I'm more interested in just thoughts on calorie intake with these considerations in mind.  Thoughts???  Suggestions??? Opinions???  I have lost 117 lbs (including the 2 week preop diet).  I feel like I have pretty good mind control and techniques for head hunger although I want to be mindful of how this progresses as time continues and maintenance becomes a factor to contend with...any replies would be appreciated.

Gwen M.
on 5/6/14 1:05 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Upping calories before reaching maintenance is a choice that makes no logical sense to me.  It seems like you should go back to the caloric intake that you were still losing weight at if you want to keep losing weight and wait to increase until you've reached your goal.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Spencerella
on 5/7/14 1:53 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

You've done so well!  

I took my low cal low carb high protein approach all the way to my desired goal (which was mid-BMI), only started adding calories back after I got there. 

Also, one thing I noticed when I started maintenance was as soon as I added extra carbs, I saw a jump in the scale. It was temporary, but most of my extra calories went to protein and fat. 

Looking forward to reading your GOAL post!!!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

(deactivated member)
on 5/7/14 2:16 am

I did what Linda did (Spencerella) with pretty much the same results.  I too did not increase my calories until reaching goal and my numbers jumped when I added in carbs. Good luck to you, the last 20 can be hard for many.  

califsleevin
on 5/7/14 10:02 am - CA

I think that your instincts and desire to tackle long term weight control (as opposed to simple weight loss,) is good, but that at where you are now, you are probably better maintaining a stable course a while longer. Slowing down and easing into maintenance is appropriate for fast losers (say, facing goal at around six months or less,) or those who are still losing at a rapid rate as they approach their goal. My doc's RN was wanting me to cut back the exercise at six months as I was about 10 from goal then (which wasn't going to happen as I was only exercising at a sustainable level appropriate for general long term health and fitness, little different than I had been doing for several years,) but I did start ramping up the intake some (but mostly let the holidays happen as this was Nov/Dec time.) I had room to play with at that time as I was losing consistently about 10lb per month, which works out to around a 1000 calorie per day deficit. I stretched out that last 10 lb over the next two months and that eased into it fairly well.

Keep doing what you have been doing, tracking your intake and weight and revisit the topic when you get within a month or so of goal - you may be useful to make an adjustment then, or it may work better to keep going at whatever rate you are at then - remember that our loss rate tends to decline by itself as time goes on and we get closer to goal, so you may not have to do much of anything then.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

mmmesser
on 5/7/14 11:44 am

Thank you guys for replying.  Good thoughts and suggestion.  I am actively working back to 800 calories and really looked at my reports and seeing that my salt intake was ticking up and staying more frequently high with the increase in calories.  I am going back to basics prior to the increase and still including the uptick in water and some activity.  Thank you all!

Most Active