6 months out , success or failure?

ITwon
on 5/11/14 11:09 am - Woonsocket, RI

Part of me feels ridiculous for feeling this way, but I still wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I was 460lbs. (6'3"). I lost 50lbs pre-op and 85lbs these last 6 months. I weigh 330 now. In my head, I know what an amazing accomplishment this is. But I still *feel* like I'm not losing fast enough. Part of me thinks everyone else just *expects* me to be "thin" by this point. Maybe I'm projecting those feelings. I'm more concerned that weight loss, (predictable) has slowed. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite happy with what I've done. I'm just scared it's over now and I'll be stuck at this weight? I'm sure it's not likely, but it irrational fears I guess. 

sweetummies
on 5/11/14 11:20 am

I think we all go through that, no matter how much weight we have to lose.  It took me a year to lose 100 pounds, so 85 in six months is fast from my perspective!  It's not over; weight loss does slow, and the best advise I can give as someone 2.5 years out is to stick to the basics.  Don't test your sleeve by trying one more bite, follow the "rules" and get your fluids and protein in, and stay the course.  Exercise as your body allows.  Think back to a year ago and pat yourself on the back for how far you have come.  Realize a year from now you'll be able to do the same as you will have gone even farther!  Congratulations on your success to date!

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/14 11:21 am - Canada

Soooooo....you've lost 130 lbs in about a year??? Which would be like more then 10 lbs a month? That sounds pretty darn fast to me! I'm thinking 6 months out you would have to work pretty hard to stop losing all together.  What you need is a pick-me-up...something to get you excited again.  Are you exercising? If not start walking.  If so try something new that is totally out of your comfort zone.  Sometimes just challenging ourselves to do something scary, embarrassing, or just plain fun reminds us that we are changing and it's not the end but every day is a beginning. You are at the beginning of this fabulous journey, find that excitement you had 6 months ago and don't let it go!

Chrissy W.
on 5/11/14 11:32 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

Think of losing weight like driving. When you come to a stop sign, you have to slow down and eventually coast to a stop at the line, right? This process is the same thing. You will not lose weight at break-neck speed and then suddenly BAM, you're at goal... if you did that in a car, you'd fly through the windshield! At some point, when the "stop sign" (goal) is in your body's sights, your body will naturally slow down and it will be a slower process to get to that line.

That being said, you're 6 months out. Weight loss typically slows down for everyone at this point because sleeve capacity has increased and, thus, calories increase. It's normal, but also something that you have to watch so that you don't go outside of your caloric/protein/carb goals.

Take a breath and look at the BIG PICTURE. You've lost A PERSON!! And not a tiny one at that! You're doing incredibly well. Stay the course and you'll get there. Just not at the speed that you saw in the first couple of months. It's just not physically possible.

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

feels_so_good
on 5/11/14 12:32 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

I haven't heard that analogy. As an analogy lover, thanks for sharing it! So easy sometimes to put something frustrating or complex into a simple sentence.

Itwon - keep it up, your doing great. I do hear what your saying - I've dropped more lbs preop than anytime in the last 5 years w/o anyone noticing. At a family gathering today, for the first time, I got the impression they were expecting to wake up from anesthesia as a skinny person - if only that easy.

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

Gwen M.
on 5/11/14 11:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Wow, you're losing a bit over 3 pounds a week.  I think that's really awesome!  

But, I totally understand the fear feelings, I think they're totally normal.  Heck, I'm 8 weeks out and have been hovering around 266 this week and I can't help but wondering "what if that's all I'll lose?"  Which is so stupid to worry about and I know that on a rational level!  But our brains aren't always rational, eh?  

If you don't have a therapist already, I highly recommend getting together with one.  They can help immensely.  I know I'll be talking to mine this week about these foolish thoughts that I'm having.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

justpete
on 5/11/14 11:57 am, edited 5/11/14 11:59 am
VSG on 04/02/13

coming from 376+ myself i can tell you that you have done great thus far.  I'm also going to tell you that because you've lost 130lbs ... you are able to do a ton more fitness - so hopefully you are doing that.  at this point you really have to hit the low intensity cardio and weights if you want to get another hundred off reasonably fast.  your BMR is already less than 75% of what it once was.  Its time to work ALL the muscles you have now and work to build more while still burning the fat.  10% of your gym time lowt cardio, 80%weights, andother 10% lowt cardio.  add in small protein/carb pre and post gym snacks so that you get the most out of your time at the gym and maximize the gains you make there.  its not jsut about the calroes burt at the gym as much as it is about keeping that muscle so that it can burn the fat long term.  obvioulsy dont add more calories than you burn at the gym, but do fuel your body so that it do the work it needs to do.  :)

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Mrs_Desire _
on 5/12/14 1:35 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13

Don't be scared. I make 6 months out on the 17th. I finally went to see my surgeon on FRIDAY. He was very happy with my weight loss while I was thinking I was such a POOR LOSER. In fact, he told me that he only wants me to lose a minimum of 20 more but a MAX of 45 because of my height and how I carry my weight. He gave me a 6 months and be on meal plan also. I have to start incorporating a daily amount of ground flaxseed into my diet. Just doing this the last 2 days... I have lost 2 pounds. 

I was told that with the sleeve, we lose great a few months and then our body slack down for a while to settle out. Once those few months have passed, we kick back up to losing the weight. Keep on giving it your best. DRINK YOUR WATER, EAT your healthy meals and get in your weight training on yeah and some cardio. Doc wants me on a more weight training plan than cardio plan right now. 

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

mmmesser
on 5/12/14 9:23 am

Why ground flax seed?  Just curious.

cheryls222
on 5/12/14 2:06 am - Bothell, WA
VSG on 09/12/13

Your doing great. Just stay on course. 

I just went through my first real 'stall/slow down". Months 7 & 8.  I know why it happened.  Part was my body settling in and part was me getting lax and comfortable with where I was at. 

Finally this week, I lost 1.5 lbs.  I know at this point I am going to have to fight for every lbs I want to lose. I amped up my cardio and starting serious weight training this week with a personal trainer.  Also reining in the extra unneeded calories!

Starting W: 320  Surgery W (9/12/13): 279.8.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 29 views