At least there is a reason I feel bad...

dmhe
on 5/20/14 12:44 am - TX

I have been gone for a bit. I started noticing my appetite was increasing and I was tired all of the time. I am back up to 144. When I went to my GP for my yearly physical, they made me stop taking all of my vitamins with iodine in them and re-test in 30 days.  I have been referred to an Endocrinologist and it appears I have Graves disease. I am the only person I know that gets a disease where the #1  side effect is weight loss and I gained! I started taking medication last night and a major side effect is weight gain. I just got back from the park and I walked and ran 2.5 miles. I am also cutting out all alcohol due to the potential effects on my liver. I am scared to death of anymore weight gain. I am going to make myself exercise again no matter what because I have to. I don't want the diabetes to come back. I have been very agitated lately and I hope the medication does the trick.  I also hope it helps with my shaky hands. I have to take photos of cars all day long and it is getting hard to hold the camera still enough. I will be tracking again. I have to remind myself I had WLS for my health and get my head back in the game. I am so sick of feeling tired and irritated all of the time. I have just barely enough energy to get through the day much less exercise. I an going to get back on my morning workout schedule. My labs were normal last July. I started to feel out of sorts around September of last year and just chalked it up to being lazy. Exercise was not making me feel good anymore like it used to. 

Dawn

acbbrown
on 5/20/14 1:00 am - Granada Hills, CA

Try not to be so hard on yourself - you are dealing with some real health issues. Once you get everything sorted out, hopefully you will start to feel like your normal self.

I hope you start feeling better soon!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

dmhe
on 5/20/14 1:05 am - TX

Thank you! You are right I do tend to be hard on myself. 😉

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/14 1:05 am - Canada

awww Dawn that really sucks.  I just had my thyroid checked and my levels were slightly low.  We are monitoring but I did a lot of reading so I understand what you are talking about. Get a tripod or one of those single sticks to put your camera on.  It makes a big difference. 

I pray you find some relief from your medication and that the weight gain side effect goes opposite for you like the weight loss side effect did ;)

Take care, Michelle

Tracy D.
on 5/20/14 1:54 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hi Dawn - I'm so sorry to hear about the diagnosis but glad that your doctor caught this and you're taking the medication you need to get better.  I know somebody with Graves and the medication really helped him tremendously.  It just takes a while to get into your system.  

You are taking all the right steps to stay healthy so be kind to yourself just like you would a beloved friend who found herself in the same situation.  You would never shake your finger at her and make her feel bad.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Curly2014
on 5/20/14 4:44 am

I had Graves  and was in true thyroid storm and I gained weight as well.  Not long after my brother had it as well, but he lost weight and I mean a bunch.  The agitation, shakes, irritability, mood swings, frequent stools, all will subside.  I had radioactive ablation to dissolve the goiter, which it did, but it took my thyroid function as well.  I have to take thyroid meds the rest of my life.  This was years ago, so not sure what they are doing theses days for Graves and goiters.  Hang in there, and have faith that things will improve!

Curly2014

Most Active