Anyone have problems with high vitamin levels

drea29
on 5/21/14 8:51 am

I am around the corner from 2 years post up.  I went to the doctor the other day and he always checks my vitamin levels.  The last time I was there 6 months ago, he said my B12 was too high and to cut back to every other day.  I did, but they are still very high.  He now said once a week or maybe not at all.  Also my Vitamin A, C and E levels were all high.  I take Bariatric Advantage vitamins and the dose is 2 a day.  I was told to cut back to one. On most days I eat around 1000 calories.  I have been maintaining since Sept 2013.  I am not sure what is going on with my body.  I eat very healthy and I always leave room for my veggies.  Good news I weighed in at 134.  Just wondered it anyone had to change the amount of vitamins they are taking.  He also wants me to have a bone scan.  He said just because my calcium levels are normal does not mean that the calcium isn't leaking from my bones.  I think it is probably because of my age too.  I had one 5 years ago and it was fine.  More weight heavier bones is what I was told.  

(deactivated member)
on 5/21/14 11:46 am, edited 5/21/14 11:47 am

My docs (PCP and bariatric) are also very calcium conscientious! I turned 50 this year and there was talk about a bone density scan, and I'm a guy! go figure. My levels are all fine and I do weight bearing exercise regularly, so I'm hoping to hold off on the scan for a while anyway.

I have been taking "normal" people vitamins because other than B12, Iron, and Copper absorption which happens in the stomach we don't really have any absorption issues. I use regular Centrum I buy at Costco. So much less expensive than what you are buying, too.

My doc had me on no more than 3000 mcg of B12 per week from the get go. I pop a 2500 mcg sublingual per week and that seems to do the trick.

It's funny, but we don't often think of having too high of a vitamin level, but that can sometimes be as devastating as low vitamin levels. My C was super high, too, and was adding to my copper deficiency. Stopped taking so much C and my copper level was up within a week!

pineview01
on 5/21/14 2:49 pm - Davison, MI

I too was told to cut back on my B-12.  I was taken one every day and told to cut back to 2-3 times a week.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Tracy D.
on 5/21/14 11:40 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My B12 was super high at my 6-month check so I was told to stop it completely.  It's in the normal level now but I'm still not supplementing.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

emelar
on 5/22/14 2:05 am - TX

Adjust your vitamins according to your lab work.  What we start with is just the generic "this is good for everyone" dosage, but you have to increase/decrease according to what your body does.  My B12 has always been freakishly high.  I only take it once every two weeks, when I fill my pill dispenser.  And it's at 1600.  So I'm cutting it back to once a month.  The B vitamins are water soluble, ie, you just pee out the excess.  That's not true of all vitamins.  Some have toxic levels.  So, if your doc said to cut back, cut back.

Go for your bone density scan.  The number you get for calcium in your labwork just shows that you have that level of calcium in your bloodstream, not where it's coming from.  Your body will pull it out of your bones if needed.  The scan is a better indicator. 

Most Active