Capacity 16 months out....

starry957
on 5/23/14 1:59 pm

Hello!  Have not been on here much lately.  Though I've been "maintaining", I wouldn't say I've been doing it in the best of ways....but that's a whole other topic.

I'm aware that capacity increases over time...I get it, but wanted to hear from those 1-2yrs out, re: specific capacity.  Can you share examples of a "meal" (in measurements I understand, ie 1/4 cup, yogurt cup, 1 egg...etc)?  It helps me to know if I'm on track or if something is terribly wrong with my stomach..

Thanks so much, any feedback would be appreciated!

Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

pineview01
on 5/23/14 2:19 pm - Davison, MI

I'm sixteen months out.  I make 2 scrambles egg at a time (old habits) I eat maybe one.  My dogs enjoy most or all of the other.  If I eat slow I can eat 3-4 pieces of bacon.  I have to eat a quest bar slowly over a period of time to get it all down.  If I eat out I eat half my salad and a tiny piece of bread.  I take the rest home and usually the meat is 2 or 3 meals so, 3oz max.  I can eat a 5/6 oz yogurt in a setting, slowly.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 5/23/14 4:49 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Kerry, I am almost 20 months out and also maintaining. I still measure food portions and usually eat 3 oz protein and a few bites of veggies. Last night's dinner was a lamb chop and one slice of grilled zucchine and 3 small forkfulls of baked sweet potato. That was less than 3 oz meat which is how I could eat the sweet potato. Otherwise it would just be the meat and veggies. 

I can eat one egg. One slice of bread. A small salad. Not much more than that in one meal.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

cappy11448
on 5/23/14 8:38 pm

I'm a little over one year post op.  I eat 3.5 ounces of protein per meal, plus 2 to 3 ounces of a low carb veggie.  I weigh rather than measure volume, so I'm not sure how it measures in cups.  I keep it to about 1,000 calories a day and less than 25 g carb, and I am still losing weight slowly.

best wishes

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

A. Kondrlik
on 5/23/14 10:13 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

if I am eating a dense protein and a veggie I comfortably  eat 3 oz protein, 1/2 cup veggie and 1/4 cup starch..  Now I can eat ALOT of veggie salad because it chews down small, I can eat a cup of greek yogurt with some mix ins, same with cottage cheese.  2 scrambled eggs with veggies and a piece of ww toast. I have been trying to stay away from breads lately and my weght has dropped a few lbs.Crap carbs I can eat large amounts!  It really depends on the density and type of food.  I am also 16 mos out. I think my capacity might be a little bigger than some.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

starry957
on 5/23/14 11:04 pm

Thanks everyone.  It's good to know that it looks like we are all somewhere around the same place on this. 

I worked straight evenings for a long time, just recently changed, and so I was finding I was eating the bulk of my calories and protein after 4pm - which I guess made sense with my shifts?  Anyway, the issues now are a little different than earlier on for sure.  For instance, I find I CAN (if I choose) eat every hour and a half to two hours...which I guess is grazing?  Worked well at the beginning, and when I was too busy to actually sit down and "eat", but now I think it's maybe not as helpful.  Such a mind game!  I can definitely eat less in the morning/day....it sort of feels like the stomach has "tightened" during the night?  Does anyone else get this?  It almost feels like the more I'm eating (later in the day), the more I can? eat.  For me, it seems as though the stomach takes some time, every day, to get "worked in".

Anyway, just things I'm noticing as I progress.  I'm with you Anne on the carb stuff - such a trap isn't it?  I also am going back to no protein bars because these are a bit of a trigger for me...nice in a pinch, but they usually set me up to start thinking about/eating chocolate and carbs...

Kerry

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

frisco
on 5/24/14 2:29 am
On May 24, 2014 at 6:04 AM Pacific Time, starry957 wrote:

Thanks everyone.  It's good to know that it looks like we are all somewhere around the same place on this. 

I worked straight evenings for a long time, just recently changed, and so I was finding I was eating the bulk of my calories and protein after 4pm - which I guess made sense with my shifts?  Anyway, the issues now are a little different than earlier on for sure.  For instance, I find I CAN (if I choose) eat every hour and a half to two hours...which I guess is grazing?  Worked well at the beginning, and when I was too busy to actually sit down and "eat", but now I think it's maybe not as helpful.  Such a mind game!  I can definitely eat less in the morning/day....it sort of feels like the stomach has "tightened" during the night?  Does anyone else get this?  It almost feels like the more I'm eating (later in the day), the more I can? eat.  For me, it seems as though the stomach takes some time, every day, to get "worked in".

Anyway, just things I'm noticing as I progress.  I'm with you Anne on the carb stuff - such a trap isn't it?  I also am going back to no protein bars because these are a bit of a trigger for me...nice in a pinch, but they usually set me up to start thinking about/eating chocolate and carbs...

Kerry

This is exactly my findings also.......

- If I eat every couple of hours...... guess what, I get hunger every couple hours.....

- I'm also not hungry in the mornings so I do a protein drink as it is important to get a good shot of protein within the first couple hours of waking.

- I tend now to be more of a 3 meal/feedings a day person with feedings about every 5-6 hours and my last meal being very late..... about 2 hours before sleep.

For me, extended feeding times means less hunger and more restriction....... a win win !!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

novascotiadawn
on 5/24/14 4:11 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

What protein drink do you do Frisco?

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

frisco
on 5/24/14 4:24 am

Premier Protein RTD

From Costco, cheap, simple with good numbers and taste OK.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

novascotiadawn
on 5/24/14 4:34 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Thank you!  I enjoy those as well!!! 

Hugs

Donna

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

Most Active