Help or Advice or Opinions - Maybe all three

tgrlnh
on 6/10/14 3:08 am
RNY on 06/05/12

So I had gastric bypass two years ago.  My dad has finally decided that he would like to go for the sleeve.  I never listened to any of the "goods, bads, or uglies" regarding the sleeve because I was sure I wanted gastric.  So I'm asking all you sleeve goers for your good, bad, and ugly thoughts as well as what your typical monthly weight loss is like.

Thank you all in advance for helping me out

HW 351 SW 314 CW 140 ~ Surgery Day 6/5/12 - The first day of the rest of my life!

skeller
on 6/10/14 3:11 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

Everyone is different, but my sense is that the average person can expect to lose 20 pounds the first month, 10 pounds the next five months, 8 pounds the next two months, and anywhere from 0-10 pounds a month thereafter depending on how compliant he is in terms of diet and exercise.

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

cappy11448
on 6/10/14 3:43 am

I love my sleeve.  I lost 205 pounds in a little over a year.  The first 6 months it was 12 to 15 pounds a month.  After 6 months it was closer to 8 pounds per month.   I was very disciplined, so results will vary.

My sleeve was textbook easy.  I breezed thru the surgery with little pain, no nausea thank to powerful anti-nausea drugs.  The recovery - getting used to the new tummy was not fun, but not terrible.  By about 6 months out, I was pretty comfortable with my new tummy and eating habits.  Now at one year out, I eat 6 to 7 ounces per meal, three meals a day.  I feel great and hit my goal weight a couple weeks ago. 

best of luck to your father.  I hope it is all he wants and needs.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

LakeErieGirl
on 6/10/14 4:51 am
VSG on 06/17/14

I can't give you the hard core facts and statistics about weight loss per month.But, I wanted to reply because I felt like you and I were a lot alike! Lol. Just reversed.

My mom went for the bypass two years ago, and I am headed for the sleeve next week. I had different issues than my mom and  different reasons for choosing the sleeve. I did a lot of research ahead of time  I thought going in I would be having the bypass , but once I went to my first meeting with the nurse and sugeon I realized the sleeve was what I wanted. The surgeon agreed it was the best for me. In fact, he was my mom's surgeon's also. 

The best thing your dad can do is research ALL the sugeries! I would list the pros and cons of each and how he feels about each. Also if he feels he can live with that lifestyle change. He needs to go in with an open mind and truly listen. Like I said I thought I was going to do the bypass at first! He should attend the seminar and see what they say about the sugergies in case he hasn't. If he has then he should really start reading everything he can get his hands on! 

Good luck to you and your dad!

Lemily
on 6/10/14 4:54 am
VSG on 01/16/14

I am someone who has had zero complications with my surgery except for minor hair loss.

I had the actual surgery at 10pm on a thursday and by friday 7pm i was discharged. I had a little discomfort or soreness; only when I laughed or the dog or kids jumped on me, but this was nothing compared to two c-sections and gaul bladder removal. I had no leaks, no naseau that was not subsided with medication, and only took pain meds for a day or two.

I was very strict at following doctor's orders. I followed exactly what the nutrionist told me to do. I had no emotional disorders or eating disorders going into this. I was really in the mindset that i needed a change and no one else was going to do it but me. I will be 5 months out on the 16th and have lost a total of 67 pounds. Estimated weight loss in the first year is to lose 60% of the excess weight. I've hit 67% in just under 5 months (which is about the per month loss noted earlier in your responses). Im not saying its right and plan on adding a more regimented excersize plan soon, but I just basically walk about 20-30 minutes per day, get in my protein and fluids. There are constipation issues, but nothing that doesn't get solved with a little miralax. I am on NO medication except for vitamin supplements that are over the counter.

The only real side effect besides hair loss that I am experiencing, is now i have more anxiety, most likely due to the hormone dumping. It was like I was PMSing ALL THE TIME. I realized that, and have that under control.

I love my sleeve. I would not change a thing. I have not felt this good about myself...ever. I enjoy posing for pictures. I enjoy going out of the house and getting dressed up. I love seeing my husband's eyes when he sees me. I can't speak for others who have had complications, but this is worth all the hard work getting to surgery, going through the surgery, and still trying to lose the weight.

I would definitely encourage your father to go to support groups that may be in your area. This was part of our pre-op requirements with the surgeon. You can hear from people what they are going through. I do not live close enough to a support group so I am always on these chats searching for motivation or support.

It may be good for you to attend with him. I have noticed that although we are all losing weight, there are a lot of differences post-op care between the two surgeries. This way, if you are his primary support system or point of care, you can better understand that his needs may be different from what your needs were post-op from bypass.

Hope this helps!

Tracy D.
on 6/10/14 5:07 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

My weight loss stats by month are listed in my signature line below...but your dad will probably lose faster since he is a male and probably has a higher BMI than I had at the time of surgery.  

The good:  no malabsorption issues, no need for tons of vitamins, no malnutrition worries.  Also I can still use NSAIDs if I need to.  It's a less invasive procedure, it was a short 40-min surgery with an easier recovery time than other WL surgeries. 

The bad:  caused severe gastric reflux that is being controlled with Protonix.  I never recognized that I actually had acid issues before surgery because I had "silent" reflux.  People with gastric reflux issues aren't considered good candidates for the surgery since it can make it worse.  But I'm still glad I had this surgery!  

The ugly:  the hair loss, but that would be true with any weight loss surgery.  And your dad may not even care about that - my husband, who just had surgery two months ago - could care less.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active