Any thoughts on how to tackle endurance sports??

olessgn571
on 6/8/14 10:17 am
VSG on 04/24/14

Hey VSGers!

I'm about 6 weeks post-op and been trying to get back out on my bike. Every time I get to 14 miles I am hitting a wall!! For the first time ever, my legs are running out of energy.  Any thoughts?  Anybody else out there try running or cycling post op and have issues with energy?  I'm eating protein shakes or eggs before riding and drinking lots of water, but I feel like I have no reserves left.

I could use some thoughts from those of you that have success!!!!

Gwen M.
on 6/8/14 11:02 am
VSG on 03/13/14

If your legs are the things giving out, I'd imagine it's just lack of energy due to recovering from major surgery.  Be kind and patient with yourself!  Try to do a little bit more each time.  You'll get there.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

olessgn571
on 6/8/14 11:11 pm
VSG on 04/24/14

Thanks for the encouragement GwenMo!

skeller
on 6/8/14 11:12 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

I am about the same time out as you, and I find that my endurance level is still definitely in recovery. I would give it another month or two before demanding anything taxing from your body. I'm doing pilates twice a week and swimming twice a week, and I have found that I have to get a nap in on those days or sleep something like 10 hours to try and recover. I think it just takes a while.

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

olessgn571
on 6/8/14 11:14 pm
VSG on 04/24/14

Thanks skeller!  You are really rocking the weightloss!  Great job!  I know the first few weeks I was only able to get 10 - 12 miles, and if I didn't suck down at ton of water while riding, I was worthless for the rest of the day. I need to work on patience!

Stacy_WLS
on 6/8/14 11:59 am

I'm doing endurance sports -- I just did my first triathlon today and am training for a half marathon and marathon.  I think it is important to vary your workouts.  I would recommend not going for distance everytime.  One day a week work on speed -- intervals.  Go fast for 30 seconds then slow for 2 minutes and repeat 10 times.  I would just do one long ride / run a week.  Your long ride / run distance depends on where you are now.  So I'd recommend your long ride now be 15 miles now, and on the other days go for shorter times.  

Basically you don't want to push yourself to the bone every day.  The speed work also helps with distance as well :)

Good luck & enjoy the riding!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

olessgn571
on 6/8/14 11:21 pm
VSG on 04/24/14

WAY TO GO STACY!!!!  Congratulations on your first TRI! 

That's where I'd like to be.  I haven't done one since 1996.  I was in shape back then. and I know what I used to be able to do, I think I forget sometime that I've aged 20 years as well as put on 100 pounds in the interim! :)  I usually saved Sundays for my long rides, but I'm guessing that for now, 16 miles is going to be my "long ride" and I'll need to be content with that until I can figure out the energy part or do carbs while I ride. I mix up the walking and swimming during the week but like most weekend warriors, I save the big training days for the weekend :)

Way to rock it Stacy! Keep up the awesome work!!

Jennsumner722
on 6/8/14 12:46 pm
VSG on 04/23/14 with

Your body is still adjusting to the change and I think that's it. I am hitting walls in the gym some time. You'll be able to do more soon. 

MacMadame
on 6/8/14 3:44 pm - Northern, CA

You're only 6 weeks out. 14 miles is a lot. Pretend you are coming off the couch and take it easy until you are farther out.

As for doing endurance sports, lots of us do it once we're more recovered. I've done a bunch of metric centuries, a full century ride, a 200km brevet, two Ironmans, two half-Ironmans, and a bunch of Half-marathons.

I hurt my head on the 200km brevet though and now I'm only allowed to do Sprint Tris. It's frustrating but I'll survive. Hopefully next year I can do Olympics and Halves again and then we'll see.

When I was training for my first Sprint Tri, I was about 4-5 months out and what I would do was mix a fruit-y protein drink with a carb-y sports drink for my bike rides. I would also have any carbs I was going to have that day right before any long distance workouts. I still did a low-carb diet over all but I timed my carbs to fuel my workouts.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

olessgn571
on 6/8/14 11:30 pm
VSG on 04/24/14

Thanks for the great advice and inspiration MacMadame! 

My family has been telling me not to get so frustrated but my brother is pushing me for doing a sprint tri with him later this summer.   Guess I ought to listen to the elders more!   I know I am afraid of the carbs as I am 100# away from goal. When I do weekends of back to back rides like this one, I don't seem to drop any pounds.  I'm looking forward to the day when I am lighter and can glide faster through the water and up hills!

Best wishes to you on your triathlons!

Most Active