My experience so far...WARNING LONG POST!!!

ladiieBee
on 6/11/14 12:12 pm, edited 6/11/14 12:37 pm - Stratford, CT
VSG on 06/03/14

Hello OH family!!

so it's been about 6 days since I've been home from surgery!! Everything went well, another un eventful surgery. I can say that this is the hardest week I've ever had. 

I was so overwhelmed on the liquid diet that I didn't post or do anything extra...and I followed it to a T but man was it hard. Now at home I am sooo lost on this whole eating thing. I was released on full liquids, idk why because at that time I barely got in the broth, sf jello, and water.

i wanted to post so bad after surgery but as of late I have no energy. I am getting in fluids, but I don't think it's enough....let's do the math. I set a timer to remind me to drink 1/4 cup every 30 mins, that's 2 oz. figuring since I wake up around 7 am due to a weird pain I usually get around then... I think it might be acid, but idk never felt it before, but it's a pain that travels up my throat and it's like a pulsing or rushing. But I usually go to bed around 10 pm so it seems like I get enough fluids, I really don't think so and I'm not figuring in the naps I'm taking. My scale measures everything and it says my water is low...I feel it too.

So like I said I'm actually not doing the next stage in my diet...I am still doing broth and clear liquids, because on the times I do try the shakes, after two ounces it get overly full it's soo uncomfortable and I'm still learning how to sip slower but no matter how slow I go I feel like I take in air and it hurts. On the flip side I do miss chewing oooh sooo dearly and the problem is I'm not even hungry. I was soo sick that I had to set that reminder to drink because I wasn't even thirsty and close to dehydration.

How long til I get sensation back?...I don't wanna ruin my new sleeve, but I feel like I'm not getting a grip on my liquids intake as in it hurts cuz of all the air. I know I need the protein cuz I feel it in my body it hurts and I'm soo tired all the time.

they gave me Pepcid ac for the acid but somehow...even tho I've never felt acid til now I don't think the Pepcid is working and I hope the acid doesn't stick around permanently.

thanks for listening guys, I'm excited but having a hard time adjusting even though I'm trying to follow the guidelines given to me. I lost 15 pounds so far, so I know my sleeve is working or it could be that I should be in full liquids but I'm not...either way I'm losing!

I would love to hear everyone's tips, tricks and secrets to adjusting to this new life.

~B

~LadiieBee~ 

Kelly Jean
on 6/11/14 12:25 pm, edited 6/11/14 12:28 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

Ok so your so new out,  this to shall pass .. it's always very hard to try to get your liquids in at first but Do what ever u have to get them in you don't want to dehydrate ... set alarms .. Also try ice  pops some people say they work great and it does count as a liquid.... sounds to me like your doing a good job.... just keep drinking... 

Btw 15 lbs already that's awesome ...congrats...

In a few weeks this will all be behind you ... and things will be looking up..

Best of luck and hope an for a very speedy recovery! !!:-)

♡Kelly

ladiieBee
on 6/11/14 12:41 pm - Stratford, CT
VSG on 06/03/14

thanks kelly jean...extreme cold bothers me, forgot to mention that in the post. Everytime I have something cold I get nauseous and it's painful like a cramp or something and I feel like something is moving in my tummy...weird lol?!?!

ill get through as you said this to shall pass...I'm working on solutions to overcome these obstacles.

thanks again for replying

~B

~LadiieBee~ 

Kelly Jean
on 6/11/14 12:48 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

I didn't do well on cold either... I tried the ice pop thing didn't work for me ... I liked warm.. or room temp... I also didn't do well with a spoon .. I put everything in a mug and just sipped ... how are clear broths working for you... that was the best for me... that and warm water... ... Also make sure your walking it will actually make you feel much better with your gas and all... which in turn will keep u awake longer.. more time to drink.   Good luck ...

♡Kelly

ladiieBee
on 6/11/14 11:47 pm - Stratford, CT
VSG on 06/03/14

thanks for your encouragement!! I do walk not like I should tho, because I get tired sooo easily omg!! I know that is due to the lack of protein I'm supposed to be getting...I am a work in progress lol

I will start setting a timer for walking even it's only to the end of the hallway in my building.

~B

~LadiieBee~ 

Dreamingofbeaches
on 6/11/14 1:40 pm, edited 6/11/14 1:41 pm
with

Hi B-  I am still pre-op, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I've read a lot on OH and have a few ideas for you. If I did the math correctly, assuming you actually get in 2oz of water or fluid every 30 minutes for the 15 hours you are up, that is 60oz. I know the goal is more like 64oz or more. I hear lots of people talk about it taking a while to work up to that. But, if you miss some when you are napping you are getting even less.  Maybe try and increase to 3oz every 30 minutes and you will feel better. I have seen some people suggest sipping with a straw to avoid air.  Regarding protein, have you tried adding the Isopure unflavored protein powder to your broth?  I bought some for that purpose but haven't tried it yet.  Sounds like acid to me. I would let your surgeon know. Maybe you need a stronger PPI.  Good luck!  You will be in my thoughts!

-Jen

Consult weight 4/7/14: 381.5   SW 7/1/14:

ladiieBee
on 6/12/14 12:01 am - Stratford, CT
VSG on 06/03/14

hey dreaming, thanks for your suggestions...just because you aren't sleeved yet doesn't mean you can't offer tips lol! I've learned a lot from this site waaay before I was sleeved to and I enjoyed offering words of encouragement or advice I had seen other ppl post.

now as far as fluids you are absolutely right! I'm trying but my new tummy doesn't agree with me. I'm literally drinking out of a 1/4 measuring cup hahahaha, when my timer goes off I dip into the cup and drink from it! I'll will start with the 1/3 cup to get more fluids in...I believe that's 6 oz. I'll fill it half way and try increasing the  amount and then eventually the measuring cup.

i actually do have the isopure unflavored, but I'm afraid of it lmao! Everytime I measure out two ounces of a protein shake and drink I feel uncomfortable...idk if it's because it's too cold or because of the skim milk, or maybe I'm sucking in air when I drink or the type of protein it is but I've gotta figure it out. So I really haven't advanced my diet to full liquids even though I was released to.

as far as the acid...I will be calling today to request another brand or something other than Pepcid I really don't feel like it's helping.

thanks again for replying I sincerely appreciate it!! How far along are you in your preop stage? I'll definitely be making room for you on the losers bench!!

~B

~LadiieBee~ 

Jiliana2
on 6/11/14 10:21 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Hi B! And welcome to the bench. It's hard at the beginning, but believe me when I tell you that it DOES get easier. One day at a time.

My first tip: check the Pepcid. If you are feeling acid, (and most of us do!), we often need a prescription PPI to help with that. I know that when I tried NOT taking the prescription, I felt what I thought was hunger but it was actually acid. The prescription really helped keep that in check. That should be the first thing in your tummy in the morning. Talk to your centre and make sure you are getting what you need out of your Pepcid or ask them to increase to a prescription of sorts to help you out. That should help settle things. Maybe with the acid in check, you can feel more comfortable getting in your liquids.

Second tip: figure out if you prefer cold, cool, room temp or warm liquids. Frequently our tummies have a preference! It's up to us to figure that out. I didn't like super cold liquids immediately post-op but warm broth was a Godsend! Loved the stuff. I still like to finish my day with a warm cup of tea and while I can do cold now, I prefer cool or room-temp liquids. I also learned that I couldn't do unflavoured water. Plain water made me vomit... twice! (I checked a second time just to be sure that's what it was!) It takes some doing, but by listening to your body, you can figure out what it wants and needs. 

Third tip: no straws at the beginning. Most centres will tell you that straws are a no-no because they actually introduce air into the stomach. I couldn't do them first out of surgery, but at 3 months post-op, I started to give them a try. It's easier for me to use them now, but it's still not my preferred method for drinking. Sipping, CONSTANT sipping, really is the way to go. Oh yeah, I missed chewing too, but it truly is a small sacrifice to pay. You'll have the rest of your life to chew once you get back on solids. This time is very temporary. It'll be a distant memory in about a month or two. Hang in there.

And fourth tip: I repeat, CONSTANT sipping really is the way to go. By that I mean, keep the water bottle in your hand. Keep your protein shake in your hand. Sip. Sip. Sip some more. Seriously. When I was in your shoes, I would take a sip, keep holding my cup or bottle, and maybe 20 seconds later, sip again. I actually wouldn't put the bottle down until it was empty and then I'd go refill it. The bottle was with me everywhere. I never set it down for long, except for the obligatory before/after mealtimes. Now I have 4-5 water bottles. A couple at work. One in the car. Two at home. Liquid flavourings for my water in my purse and my desk at the office. Really. It gets so you think ahead and do whatever you need to in order to get your liquids in. It truly is the most important thing to remember right after surgery as dehydration can happen fast.

I think you're doing really well with 15 pounds lost so far though! Kudos to you! You're definitely doing something right. I hope you can get a handle on the acid issue; I think that will help you immensely! Wishing you lots of luck as you learn about your sleeve!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

ladiieBee
on 6/12/14 12:44 am - Stratford, CT
VSG on 06/03/14

hey Jiliana, thanks for your tips!!

i made the straw mistake already lol, let's just say I've learned my lesson! I keep trying to sip constantly but I slurp occasionally, it's not on purpose and sometimes I catch myself, but the air intake drives me nuts, it hurts.

i also prefer warm liquids, the cold hurts my new sleeve... My favorite tea is by bigelow teas and it's called I love lemon...it's absolutely amazing!! I set a timer to drink every 30 mins and im literally drinking out of  1/4 measuring cup...I'm gonna do what another poster said and increase the cup I drink out of every few days or so to bring my intake up... It's hard because my new tummy doesn't wanna hold but soo much. I'll make sure to start keeping bottles of water and crystal light every where so I'll never be with out them...plain water is just nasty even though I have a brita filter I can't tolerate it.

im excited that I'm already losing I just can't believe it, I know my sleeve is working...I am gonna take full advantage of these early days and do the right things!

i sincerely appreciate your tips and suggestions!

~B

~LadiieBee~ 

Shanae1
on 6/11/14 11:40 pm - Marana, AZ
VSG on 03/21/14

Hello.

congrats on your new surgery! You are already doing awesome! I am not a doctor! but I got to the point where I couldn't even look at another glass of water and I was so low on calories I would start bawling and get really weak. What I did was drink regular red Gatorade or regular juice. It has calories and it goes towards your water intake. I also did tea with some honey. I knew we weren't supposed to have sugar like what's in those but honestly you won't drink enough to do anything and it will get a little calorie and energy in your body. I also added half a cup of apple juice to a full glass of water and it helped it become a little more appealing. Hope this helps. Remember even your chicken broth counts towards your fluid goals. 

Good luck!

Surgery on 3/21/2014 with Dr. Ramos Kelly.   HW:385 SW:358 CW: 240

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 43 views