Almost 4 years post op, had some regain, need to refocus and require protein ideas!

Linds_littleblackdress
on 6/14/14 6:25 am - calgary, Canada

Hey everyone!

It's been a while since i've been on here. I will be 4 years post op in Oct and I cannot tell you how much I have loved this surgery. The high from losing the weight was an amazing feeling. My highest weight was 296 my lowest post op was 159 and my current weight is 182 so I've had 23 lbs regain. It's not a surprise, I started losing focus on protein and snacking more and more, because i had the mentality that my sleeve is could hold so little that I had to eat more frequently to keep up my energy.. at that point I became afraid of feeling hungry so I just constantly started snacking and of course it wasn't on healthy protein or veggies... I do work out like crazy I run half marathons, have 2 gym memberships but unfortunately it is true exercise is 20% and food is 80% to weight loss... *sigh*

anyway! I am back and am ready to refocus myself.

I need protein shake recipe ideas, I normally add skim milk to chocolate whey protein with a little peanut butter but I get sick of that quite easily.

also what do you eat for protein snacks? 

my plan is to cut out processed sugars and wheat.

I feel like my mind needs to reset so any ideas/suggestions would be amazing!

Glad to be back and to be inspired by everyone!

Linds

hw 296 pow 286 sw 265    height 5'5   Lowest weight after surgery 159 current weight 181

trinoc
on 6/14/14 6:28 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Sounds like a great plan!  I'm sticking to regular shake powders - Syntrax type - but I know that Pinterest is an awesome resource for shake recipes and will be utilizing that once I'm more comfortable playing around w/ fruit and adding in a few additional carbs.  Good luck!

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

Gwen M.
on 6/14/14 7:03 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've made turkey pepperoni chips that are tasty - just put them on some paper towel and nuke for 60-90 seconds.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Linds_littleblackdress
on 6/14/14 1:35 pm - calgary, Canada

That's right!!! I used to do this too! Thanks for reminding me

happyteacher
on 6/14/14 10:57 am

Here are some of my go to protein sources:

1. Premier protein RTD or EAS Low carb advantage (100 caloris, used for a snack).

2. If you are not going ultra low carb... 1/2 cup low sugar orange juice, a handful of low glycemic berries (strawberry, blackberry, blueberry),1/2 cup almond milk (30 calories a cup type)  splenda to taste, 1 scoop vanilla protein powder, ice- and blend it so it has a fairly thick consistency. You could do a million variations with this.  

3. Keep frozen shrimp on hand.  It cooks up in 5 minutes, is low cal, and a great protein.  Put it on salads if you need more quanity- but 8 or so does me well without vegggies.  

4.  Tunafish on a bed of spinach- love this in the summer :)

5. Cottage cheese and low glycemic berries.

6. Sugar free nonfat greek yogurt... I really like the fruit varities.

7. Protein bars (Detour low sugar is my favorite, but Pure Protein has added vitamins).  If these are triggery for you stay away.

8. Protein coffee or hot chocolate. 

9.  Costco rotissierre chicken, because I am really lazy about cooking.  I use it on salads, or with a low carb wrap (50 calorie a wrap) with some lettuce or arugala.

10. New favorite guilt free fix for the sweet tooth: Use my Vitamix to make frozen yougurt- 1 cup ff greek yogurt (plain), 1/2 cup almond milk, splenda to taste, and about 3 cups frozen strawberries.  This makes a lot.  Good protein, fiber... nothing bad for you in there except maybe the splenda. An even lighter option is fruit with ice cubes and splenda- fast sorbet. 

Those are my favorites.  I would absolutely ditch the peanut butter in your shakes.  Make it lower carb, and lower calorie.  And I am not even a low carb person...

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Linds_littleblackdress
on 6/14/14 1:34 pm - calgary, Canada

Thank you for the great ideas!!!! I really appreciate it!

Calaska
on 6/14/14 4:21 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

I found this book at amazon. I don't own it, but it looks good. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BMVSSXW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3PUZ9B4VZGBGY&coliid=I2OSU0VI8AKKKB

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

mmmesser
on 6/15/14 4:51 am

I would focus on Calorie intake with the right foods and drinks and plenty of fluids!  Myfitnesspal.com is a great place to keep up with Calories, Protein, sodium, Fat, Carbs, Sugars...and you can keep up with all these over time with  the 'Reports' option.  I even put in my Quick Add Calories for my Vitamins and Calcium...protein powders, water enhancers, mints, EVERYTHING that enters my mouth hole (even the fattening stuff...full accountability)!  :)  I bet if you really limit your intake I think you will also notice that you will not be able to eat even as much at a time as you probably can now.  Such as, I notice that when my tummy is not feeling so well and I'm not eating as much as is typical for a day or two...once I get back to eating what I think is normal for me I get full way quicker!  Also, you might use the dessert gums (the Lemon cube one is delicious) to hit the sweet tooth mark in a safer way...you may just have to do without altogether for a while in order to decarb.  I also do the PB2 and the Arctic Zero Ice Cream to help with some cravings.  Good Luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views