A stall, the gym, real food, excuses, and a general update.

feels_so_good
on 6/17/14 10:17 am
VSG on 05/20/14

I admit I have more sympathy and astonishment having hit my first stall. Went from 362 to 361 in 7 days averaging 680 cal a day. Crazy how our body can do that.

Went to the gym for the first time in 4 years. My legs felt like jello after about 3 minutes but I kept going, reaching for a round # of calories (100, 150...., then a round distance marker (.5, .75...), then a round amount of time (5 min, 10 min...). A head game or problems with my head? 

I also spent about 2 hours outside mowing and doing general yard work. 

It made me think about a season of the Biggest Loser about 3 or 4 or 5 years ago. The one about excuses. Watching the seasonal I was in denial, agreeing with the participants and ignoring the trainers. I've never ran that fast, but my back hurts, but I'll get shin splints, but I really am that busy, but I don't like to eat that, but I deserved to eat that, but... endless list of excuses.

Normally, I'd say my sore back and having did so much yesterday, earned me a day off today. Nope!

And, I also went shopping. The dreaded clothes shopping - bought a couple shirts at a thrift store. Shopping included a Costco run - picked up their lime cilantro shrimp. Heaven - no prep/cooking, enough protein to cut out a shake, and my sleeve agreed to eating them. First meal, I even felt my first twinge of full - maybe - well a hick up - so I stopped at 2oz. Ate my 3 oz for dinner. So yummy and terrific to be able to chew something (just advanced off purees today.

Not exactly canned tuna they recommended during my follow up appointment this morning. Yet, they said that recommendation was more so I didn't have a bad experience eating. That nothing would hurts my sleeve - okay for nuts, salsa, seeds, meats, lettuce, :) :) :) Obviously, things like binging can still hurt my sleeve and things like cake will still hurt me. 

Lastly, started to notice some mental differences. I would say I was talkative and pleasant with my nurse. Looked people in the eye at the gym and smiled. Politely told my nut that I wouldn't be coming to my next appt. Another $25 copay today for her to read off a list of 3 vitamins from my binder. She (my 4th different nut over 7 appointment) understood and said at this point their main role is accountability and motivation. 

That workout lead to a little nap :) and dare I say, a bit of an endorphin rush :)

Overall a great day, not even my puzzlement over how calories in/calories out can result in a stall.

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/14 11:10 am - Canada

Your doing fabulous and I've found if I think of it as my body resting up for the next big loss then stall becomes a positive thing.  Just keep moving forward, there are so many more great ways to count your victories then the scale.  

Awesome job!

pineview01
on 6/17/14 6:35 pm - Davison, MI

Sounds like you got a plan and a handle on thing.  You will do great!  Keep it up.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Gwen M.
on 6/18/14 12:26 am
VSG on 03/13/14

"Went to the gym for the first time in 4 years. My legs felt like jello after about 3 minutes but I kept going, reaching for a round # of calories (100, 150...., then a round distance marker (.5, .75...), then a round amount of time (5 min, 10 min...). A head game or problems with my head? "

This made me smile, since I have similar things at the gym.  Only, for me, it's more of a series of bribes.  "Okay, get to 15 minutes and you can quit."  Or "Okay, get to 1 mile and you can stop."  Then it's, "Well, you made it to that goal.  You can do a bit more.  Get to this goal, then you can quit."  I love the exercise I do, but I still feel like I'm bribing myself the entire time.  :D  

But I talked with the gym owner about this the other day, and he's actually one of those guys who has won body building competitions, and he says he does the same thing.  You have no idea how good that made me feel.  If this dude who has an AMAZING level of fitness does this too.. then clearly I'm not as screwed up as I think I am!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active