Weight gain 2 years after, what to do?

Carlen T.
on 6/18/14 5:23 am - Fort Wayne, IN
Last year, I took over the care of my mother-in-law who has dementia. I became house bound, no walking the in am, no more water aerobics. Eventually, I could no longer care for her, but I then developed pneumonia and was placed on steroids for over a month. I have gained almost 30 pounds! I have started walking again and sticking to diet, but I cannot seem to lose the weight. Should I go back to liquid protein diet for 2 weeks as if I had just had surgery and work up from there? I worked so hard for this and I want to go back to my successful place!

Carlen T        

happyteacher
on 6/18/14 5:55 am

I think you have a nice start in that you are reflecting back on what specific changes caused the gain to begin with, and addressing those.  Steroids suck, and cause gain.  But you are done with that now!  Here is what I would recommend:

1. Back to basics- not necessarily full liquid diet, unless you feel like that is sustainable/best option for you during the 2 weeks.  Instead, eat your protein first, then veggies.  Sitck to the lower cal protein like fish, shrimp, etc.  Many go with keeping carbs under 40 grams.  Not sure what is the best fit for you with carbs, but find your lower limit and go with that. 

2. Exercise.  No excuses- just do it!

3. Get your fluids in, but wait at least 30 minutes after eating.

4.  My best days are always the ones where my breakfast is a protein shake.  Premier Protein RTD is my go to meal repaacement.  EAS Carbadvantage is my snack replacement.  My stellar days are the ones where I do 2 shakes a day, lean protein, green leafy veggies. 

Good luck!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

acbbrown
on 6/18/14 6:03 am - Granada Hills, CA

I gained 50 lbs after my 2nd year, and ive lost 1/2 of it now. Going back to liquids never helps me and nor does serious restriction to 600 calories because I personally can't stick with it long enough to make any difference in my weight. Ive had to go back to the good old life style choice method of losing weight and shaping up my diet and food choices. It sucks, its friggen hard as hell, but its slowly working.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/14 6:45 am

You can lose 30 pounds.  It will not be easy and it will not happen as fast as the early weight loss happened after VSG, but if you want to lose it, you can.  I would tell you to go back to eating lean homemade protein and green leafy veggies for most of your meals.  I would journal your food and eat about 90-100 grams of protein and under 40 carbs.  I would keep my calories as low as you can without going hungry.  If you are hungry, add in more veggies.  Drink like a fish and work with your pyloric valve (look for Frisco's pyloric valve 101 post to understand the physiology better). You might also want to reach out to a trained nutritionist (someone very familiar with VSG, weight loss and regain).  There is so much to say on this topic, but the most important thing I would hope that you hear me saying is that this is doable and you can do it.  

White Dove
on 6/18/14 9:23 am - Warren, OH

Multiply your current weight by 10.  That is the number of calories to stay where you are now.

Subtract 500 calories a day to lose one pound a week.  It will take 30 weeks to lose 30 pounds.  It will take 52 weeks to lose 52 pounds.

It is good to get your calories from dense protein, but the important thing is to stay at the right number. 

People will tell you all kinds of things to get around this, but the truth is that you cannot lose weight unless you eat less calories than you burn. 

Weigh everyday, track your food, walk, go to water aerobics, and stick to your plan.  You will get the weight off, but you will not get it off quickly.  Something seems to happen to the body after the surgery that stops it from losing weight quickly.  Before surgery the calorie equation did not work for me, I could lose a pound a day.  Now it is the only thing that works.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kelly Jean
on 6/18/14 12:15 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

I have never heard that theory ... Thank you for the info that was awesome...  just share it with my hubby who has been trying to get some weight off... (no sleeve) he's doing very well this can help... ty

♡ Kelly

(deactivated member)
on 6/18/14 9:55 am - Canada

Steroids are notorious for weight gain and it takes a bit for the weight to come off from them.  You will get back to your successful place but it won't happen overnight.  I don't think you need to go back on liquids but you do need to track your food, drink your water and do protein first.  

It's going to take time to lose just like it took time to put it on.  Don't focus on the length of time but on each new day doing the right things.  Time passes quickly and you will be back down before you know it.

I'm sorry to hear about your MIL.  My mom suffered from dementia and it is a very hard illness to witness and care for.  God bless you for taking care of her.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views