Maintenance and how to stop losing

Jackie P.
on 6/23/14 12:35 am, edited 6/23/14 1:26 am - Hamilton, Canada
VSG on 04/10/13

Hey everyone. I have hit maintenance, and am finding I'm still losing. Slowly, but losing. While I love it, I really don't want to get too thin and be forced to gain weight. I thought I would maintain at 155, and I was 149 this morning. 

My calories are about 1400 a day. I still track on MFP. 

Do you think my body will just stop when it is ready to? Or do I have to intervene? Are we as prone to bounce back weight as RNY'ers?

Thanks!

Surgery Date: April 10, 2013 • VSG

www.fatfornow.com

mickeymantle
on 6/23/14 2:46 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you keep add 100 cal wait a few weeks and see if your losing or gaining then repeat till your maintaining

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

G5x5
on 6/23/14 2:50 am - VA

"Maintenance" is a relative term and means different things for different people.

Without hard facts, it's difficult to judge whether you've reached it in truth.  You could very well be over achieving your original targets because you set the bar too low.  Over the past year, I've observed that many VSGers will do by assuming they can't ever get back to "normal".

In my opinion, it all comes down to your body fat % and monitoring that % relative to weight, and muscle definition.  Without that %, and an understanding of your muscle vs. fat, you're really just guessing at what the weight figure means.

So if you're still loosing weight at 1,400 calories I'd let it run it's course.  The rate of loss will greatly diminish the closer and closer you get the maximum attainable level no matter what you do.  Yes, your body will slow it's rate when it's time, I've watch this play out in my own weight numbers since January.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

mmmesser
on 6/23/14 8:31 am

I'm anticipating this same issue.

I've upped from 800 to 1000 for about a month and still lose pretty consistently although slower (which I am fine with as I only have 13 more lbs. I wanted to possibly lose) although I'm fine with where my current weight is as it was my original goal.  So, I'm keeping with 'under 1100' calories for a bit as I know I will continue losing and even more slowly so that I can continue to figure this part out without jolting my system and my mind as it's used to loss, loss, loss.

I don't have any real words of wisdom here although I would figure that you will just have to keep working within your diet with allowable nutrients and at what values that will help you maintain without adding.  As far as percentages....that is a definite logical thought...you might want to increase muscles mass with strength training and add some fruits, vegetables, and health fats (which will automatically add calories).  Good Luck!  Keep us updated as I am very curious to know your progress with this!

Most Active