Can someone help me figure out what slider food means for me?

chriswife19
on 6/23/14 8:49 am
VSG on 05/28/14

I'll be four weeks out on Wednesday and am on soft/puree until then.  So far what I have noticed is that when I eat a meal, which as a vegan typically consists of a tablespoon of refried beans and a tablespoon of humus or guacamole and perhaps a half teaspoon peanut butter, I feel an uncomfortable feeling in the area I imagine is the top of my sleeve.  That sensation lasts for hours and I'm accepting that as the new normal for feeling full.  Frankly, I don't care for the sensation and am leaning more toward protein drinks as a result.  I'm also leaning toward the protein drinks because two tablespoons of those foods are not giving me enough protein and I'm easily tired out. 

Today, looking for something with a bit more protein I made lentils with carrot and onion.  I ate two tablespoons of the lentils and didn't get the sensation.  I eventually ate two tablespoons more since I'm supposed to be ok with two to four tablespoons per meal.  I still didn't get the sensation.  Is this what folks refer to as a slider food?  I don't think I could have eaten more but I certainly didn't try.  Just now, about two hours later, I took my four gummy multivitamins and a chewable biotin tablet and I feel the sensation so I'm thinking that foods that don't give me that sensation would be my 'slider' foods and I would therefore have to watch carefully the portions I consume of them.  Am I understanding the concept?

Highest weight - 260  Surgery weight - 197.5  Current Weight - 152

Gwen M.
on 6/23/14 10:04 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Right now, it's not super relevant since you're still so close to surgery.  Your nerves were severed and your stomach is a liar.  At this point, you can't trust anything your stomach is telling you.  In a few more weeks, you'll start to get a better idea of what's what.  :)  This is why it's so super important to measure everything at this point so you don't overeat.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

chriswife19
on 6/23/14 9:15 pm
VSG on 05/28/14

Thanks, GwenMo.  You're so right about not trusting my stomach.  I decided to have the lentils for breakfast just now.  Ate two teaspoons and I've got that sensation of it being stuck so it looks like even the same food from day to day can have a different effect.

Gwen M.
on 6/23/14 11:11 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I really applaud you for doing this as a vegan.  My bff is vegan and she gets random people all the time asking her, "but what about protein?!?!"  I'd imagine that once you make it through the portion of the diet that requires shakes, you'll have a much, much easier time of things.  :D  (My bff runs, so uses protein shakes, and says that the vegan ones are not super tasty.  But the non-vegan ones are super tasty either!)  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mickeymantle
on 6/23/14 3:20 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you need to see a good nut , it is very hard to get enough protein when you will not eat meat

most nuts do not recommend gummies  and many gummies have gelatin which is made of meat

it is no problem you drinking a shake or 2 this early on

you are probably eating to fast or to much at a time and mot chewing enough 

you need to put the spoon down for a couple of minutes between spoonfuls

if you don't you will get that over full feeling , you also might need a ppi or h2 blocker to prevent reflux

make shore all beans you cook are well soaked and well cooked

eggs or dairy would be a big help if there not against your beleafs

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

chriswife19
on 6/23/14 9:25 pm
VSG on 05/28/14

Mickeymantle, thank you for the kind and thoughtful suggestions.  I have a very nice nut who supports my values.  My surgeon was chosen because he supports my values as well.  The gummies are vegan and were approved by the nut, as were the protein powders I am using. 

I'll give some thought to how I might slow down while eating but it is pretty slow already.  The recommendation on my plan is no water 30 minutes prior, stretch the meal over 30 minutes, no water 30 minutes after.  I'm sure you can imagine how it is to take little bits off a tiny spoon for that long.  The spoon definitely  has to go down in between.  :) 

I've never had reflux.  My understanding of it is that you have stomach acid in your throat/mouth, especially when lying down.  Is that basically what it is?  If so, I don't experience anything like that. 

Unfortunately, even if I wanted to eat dairy I get very painful chronic sinus infections from it so as much as I once loved cheese it is not possible for me to consume it if I want to remain healthy.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views