Slider foods - what's your experience?

feels_so_good
on 6/22/14 1:23 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

On the scale of food, what point does food stop sliding and start filling. ex yogurt, beans, scrambled eggs all the way to denser dryer foods such as steak, bread (I haven't tried it yet) or jerky?

I seem to have a very tolerant sleeve and have been having trouble getting any sensation from eating (other than the pleasure of taste in my mouth) no full, no satisfied, no (longer) burping or hiccups, no pain or tightness, never foamies or vomiting. Nothing anyone else as suggested as a clue. I've been keeping portions to 1 egg and protein to under 3oz. With condiments it's more oz, for example I had a meatball (almost 2 oz) with 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce.  

Finally today, I was making some chicken for my FIRST DAY BACK at work tomorrow :( I sliced it thin and cooked with pam spray in a saute pan with a seasoning rub. I portioned out two lunches and ate the remaining 2.2 oz for dinner and FINALLY felt full. Thankfully no pain/foamies/etc.. but I was satisfied and didn't want to eat any more - I felt satisfied and full. 

Earlier this week, I make chicken fajitas. Cooked with a tablespoons of olive oil for 12oz, Portioned 4oz into a leaf of lettuce with 1/8th cup melted cheese, 2 tsp of sour cream, a squirt of lime, and a heaping tablespoon of salsa. Ate it with zero sensation. Taco meat, ground turkey, scrambled eggs, talipia, the meatball - all with a little moisture (yogurt/s.cream/salsa/hot sauce/something - zero sensation. Only other thing that made me feel something (not full, but it said I should stop eating) was cooked shrimp from costco (2.5 - 3oz). I didn't add any sauce or dip to that either (moist but not wet).

Curious to see if others on full food have advice or have had issues with meats sliding through. 

Not drinking with meals, or for 45min+ after a meal. 

Tonights chicken, I was thirsty before I ate. Usually, I just make sure I stop drinking at least 5 min before a meal and typically 15 min. Maybe I should experiment with waiting longer to eat after I stop drinking?

Looks like I'll need to be careful with adding salsa or other moisture to my food. 

Todd

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/14 2:09 pm - Canada

Your only a month out? That early in the game you will have lost feeling in your stomach and may not feel the sensations that will come later.  I now eat smaller portions at 6 months out then I did several months ago.  

Measure your food and stick to that...soon enough you will start getting those feelings and wish you could go back to the good ole days of not feeling full.

Keep working your sleeve! 

pineview01
on 6/22/14 3:45 pm - Davison, MI

You just had your stomach cut from top to bottom thru all those nerve endings.  At this point you aren't "feeling" what is really going on.  That is why you need to measure out and only eat food on your program.  You can be putting yourself at risk by eating by "feeling"  At this point put "full" out of your vocabulary.

At four weeks I was still on soft foods and only 1/4 cup, 1-2 oz of protein at each meal with 1 or 2 teaspoons veggie.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Sandy M.
on 6/22/14 11:25 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

So...what the others have said is true about being early out from surgery.  But here's what I'm picking up from your post (maybe I'm wrong).  You are looking for that "full" sensation like you had before surgery.  Here's the problem with that thinking - many of us would eat and eat and eat until we felt full every time we ate.  It's what got us to the point of needing surgery to begin with!  For some of us being full is like the high that comes with our drug of choice.

I would turn it around and ask you instead; are you hungry?  Frisco talks a lot about under eating your sleeve, and I think he's got something there.  The goal, besides getting your nutrition, is to be satisfied, not full.  Satisfied simply means not being hungry.  The only time I get full these days is when I'm not fully focused on my eating and I overeat.  

You sound like you're really following your plan - good job with that!  The next 6 months or so are going to be like a science experiment where the experiment is your body.  Keep focused on what it's telling you; before too long you'll start feeling very much like you did prior to surgery with the exception of not being able to eat large portions of food.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

feels_so_good
on 6/22/14 11:44 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

I appreciate the advice about not feeling and needing to measure. Reading that info here on OH and getting it from my COE scared me straight. I would'a tried eating way to much, to fast, if not for the warnings of creating a leak and complications.

Tomorrow starts week 6 for me. I introduced a lot of meats this week - week 5 - I wanted to try them before going back to work so I would not run into issues eating lunch in in public/at work. 

From the start my coe was at 1/4 cup, but they said it would slide right though. i.e. tomato soup. So I did have more. I have a 1/2 cup ramikin I am/was using for liquids and purees. 

Week 4 my plan was 1/4 cup plus 2 tbl or 1/2 cup depending on the food.

Week 4 I had another followup and the nurse gave me the go ahead for all foods, just to measure. 

Maybe incorrectly, but I switched to a small plate (or bowl if more sauce) and started using weight/oz vs volume. 

Again, maybe wrong or confused, but if we are supposed to add cheese and sour cream to our refried beans (did that by volume) to thing them out. Then when adding chicken, if supposed to add to the beans, cheese, s.cream or salsa the oz start adding up quick - it either turns out thick and dry or there is only a tiny piece of protein.

Overall my plan says if your stomach tolerates the food stages it's okay to advance, just stay within portion limits. 

Any advice is appreciated. I guess my question is, why would we be worried about slider foods months and years out, but food would not slide through early out?

It seems like everyone, has some issues eating, to fast, to much, foods not agreeing - I've had zero issues. Maybe I am under eating my sleeve (doubtful)? I was expecting issues eating a scrambled egg, hearing others can't eat any or split and egg into three meals. A scrambled egg fit into my portions, was recommended by my coe. I was just wondering if because I added milk to the scramble to soften the egg and topped it with salsa (no seeds to be safe) that it made it easier to eat, or even slide. Maybe if I tried eating a dry hard boiled egg, I'd have more issues?

Have a great day all. 

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

Sandy M.
on 6/22/14 11:59 pm - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Or perhaps you're like many of us that have never had a complication, a food intolerance, or any issues whatsoever!  There are many of us; you just don't hear as much about us because we don't post "hey, everything is perfect"!  

As for Slider Foods - search for Frisco's post about the Pyloric Valve and you'll have a good understanding of why some foods don't tend to stick with you for long.

For me, slider foods are the foods other than dense protein that I can eat larger volumes of (and aren't so good for me).  Those M&M's, Reece's Peanut Butter Cups, and Doritos all meet the criteria.  So does liquid calories like soda, alcohol, or milkshakes.  They all slide right past that Pyloric Valve so you don't get full, whereas the dense proteins will slam that puppy shut and keep the food inside your stomach for awhile.

You're doing great - don't go looking for problems!  Just continue being aware of how your body is reacting to certain things and adjust accordingly.  I too soft scramble my eggs (with milk or water) but not because I can't tolerate the overcooked egg; just because it tastes better that way to me.  I just finished 2 scrambled eggs with a little goat cheese and chives fresh from my garden as a matter of fact.  

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Gwen M.
on 6/23/14 6:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I measure everything I eat prior and don't try to achieve a sense of satisfaction or fullness with meals.  So far the only things that I've felt are "sliders" for me are liquids and stuff with the consistency of soup or yogurt.  Anything thicker definitely doesn't slide right through my pyloric valve.  

I drink right up until when I start eating, since the pyloric valve will be open until it closes from dense food.  So I drink up until I take my first bite of that dense food.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

themexcellentone
on 6/23/14 3:47 pm
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Eating 4 oz of chicken a month out seems like an awful lot.  At a month out, I was still on soft foods and could only get down 1.5-2 oz at a meal.  Be careful with your freshly made sleeve--it is still healing up.  You're not going to feel much because the nerve endings are still severed and healing.  Be CAREFUL. 

Also, drinking right up until you eat is okay.  Drinking after you eat...not so much.  The rule of thumb is 30 minutes, but personally I find that 30 minutes is not enough time.  I wait a minimum of 45 minutes to an hour after eating to start drinking anything. 

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views