I can eat 5oz at a time 10 days post-op??

Yrk73329
on 7/5/14 2:05 pm

I am in a panic because I think I can eat too much already!! My doctor released me on post-op day 8 to eat mushy foods. Today is post-op day 10. I made Eggface Ricotta Bake recipe and baked them in 4 separate ramekin type dishes. The capacity of the dish is 6 oz.  I believe that each dish was filled to about 4 1/2-5 oz. I can eat the whole thing in one sitting about 10-20 minutes!!! Is something wrong with me? I have had this dish for 3 meals today and also had a protein drink. I know I wont do this everyday but it is the first time in three weeks (due to pre-op 2 week liquid diet) that I've had anything that tasted like real food and I went crazy eating it 3 times today. Am I eating too much already. I feel really guilty. Am I supposed to be eating like this? Should I be able to eat 5 oz. of ricotta bake in one sitting already?

TexasTerritory
on 7/5/14 2:33 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
Measure and track your intake. Look at how many calories, how much protein you are consuming. This earlier out, your tummy is still healing. The nerves have been cut and are not reliable.

Your plan should indicate how much you should consume at one meal. I am almost one year out and only consume 2-3 ounces at a meal. Undereat your your sleeve.

Focus on getting the most protein you can within 2-3 ounces.

feels_so_good
on 7/5/14 2:51 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

I did the same thing.

My ability to eat has gone steadily down over the last 3 weeks. About week 5 my nerves started to heal and I could eat less (hopefully it's nerves healing and not a complication). The last few days, I could only eat about 2 - 2.5oz of dense protein. A couple weeks ago I was eating 4oz. Thankfully, hopefully, I didn't cause a leak, but I was stuffing 2x as much as could fit. It was (and is) easier to eat foods that are less dense and have more moisture.

I just didn't understand how there would be NO sensation/reaction - burps, hiccups, heartburn, not being able to swallow, something to say nothing else would fit.  I'm not sure it it just pushed against the swollen stomach skin or was forced through the pyloric valve. I wish someone had given me the picture of trying to fit into an outfit that was to small - I can do it, but it's not comfortable and I'm sure we have all split a seam at some point.

At any rate, like many warned me, try to follow your doctors guidelines and don't test your sleeve. It can take up to 3 months to heal. At last weeks support meeting, my doc said the most common times for leaks is month 1-2 when people feel they are past the danger zone, yet the stomach is still healing and not ready to be tested. 

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

White Dove
on 7/5/14 10:34 pm - Warren, OH

Splitting a seam is an excellent way to express this.  Splitting the seam on the new sleeve could be a life-threatening event.  I hope the poster gets a sense of the danger involved in overeating. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

mickeymantle
on 7/5/14 3:03 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

when you start eating solid food you will not be able to eat that much 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Amber G.
on 7/5/14 3:12 pm, edited 7/5/14 3:12 pm
VSG on 04/02/14

Agreeing with the post about weighing everything, due to nerves being severed. I am little over 3 months out, and just posted about being shocked I was able to eat nearly 4 ounces. You will definitely feel more restriction once you start to eat solids. Until then, weigh everything! Better to be safe then sorry :) You don't want to damage your sleeve. 

julielynn22
on 7/5/14 3:14 pm
VSG on 06/11/14

I am three and a half weeks out and I asked the same question a few days ago! I was just allowed to start eating foods and I felt like I could eat way too much in a short amount of time. I have been measuring, etc. Just stick to your plan. I have started to put my fork down between bites, and chew each bite 20-30 times and I don't eat as much. We have to remember to eat slow and learn about our sleeves!! I'm in this with you!

trinoc
on 7/5/14 9:26 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Just because you can doesn't mean you should!  Weigh out 2 oz, eat it slowly, then stop.  After several months you'll be able to regulate more how you're feeling and will be able to decide if you need more than that but right now you just can't even feel when you're finished and there is no need to play w/ fire.  Good luck!

(Oh, but soft food IS a lot easier to eat than solids...so the ricotta bake makes sense...that's why you always way the smaller portion and stop there.  Don't trust your gut, so to speak!  haha)

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

grayC
on 7/6/14 12:22 am
VSG on 05/01/13

PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!!! PLEASE!!!

be VERY CAREFUL!!!!!

your 10 days post-op. Your stomach has been cut and stapled back together!

your nerve endings are severed ( as to why you can eat soo much, you CAN. NOT feel full yet!!!)

the very last thing you want to do is put undue stress on an organ that has been thru so much trauma!!!

You should only eat 1/4 cup at this point!! This is a time of caution not let's see how much I can stuff into it!

Gwen M.
on 7/6/14 12:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Your nerves were severed, your stomach is still healing, it is a lying liar that lies.  You can't trust it, which is why we're given guidelines to follow and a diet instead of just being told to eat anything.  This is the time you can damage yourself seriously by just "listening to your body."  

Measure everything.  Stick to 2-3 ounces (or whatever your doctor has given you as a guideline).  Eat slowly. Just because you can eat more and faster doesn't mean you should.  This is the time to engage your willpower and cement skills that will last you through a lifetime.  This is not the time to see how fast or how much you can eat just because you're curious or not paying attention.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active