Liquids, drinking water??

jessica1371
on 7/7/14 1:04 pm - Elgin, IL
VSG on 08/29/14

Hello, I'm in the process of getting approved for the sleeve. I understand the changes that need to be made and have read up on all I can. I'm so excited. The changes don't sound unreasonable and I'm ready for all the hard work. One thing I can't grasp my head around. Liquids... AKA water!! I am a girl who is thirsty ALL the time. I have a water in my hand every where I go and can't get enough. I have a water next to my bed and drink during the night. 

So upon researching, everything I see says that NOT to drink WHILE eating..... OMG.. How is that possible???  and only small sips?? YIKES!! I chug my water. I am so scared of ruining my recovery. The reduction of food is not an issue... that I can handle.

How much will I have to cut down to for water intake. What are the tips for quenching your thirst??  I have VERY sensitive teeth from years of ice chewing, so that is is big no no! That is the only thing I'm scared of.. sounds silly. 

Thanks 

Jessica

STATS: 5'7" HW: 424 (Jan 2014)   SW: 391 (Aug 2014)  CW: 323 (Jan 2015)

heartOtexasgirl
on 7/7/14 1:43 pm

My sips are not as small as I thought I would have to do.  I usually take 2 small sips at a time.  I am exactly one week out and still on clear liquids....broth, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, and water.  I get so tired of water so I add zero calorie flavoring to my water. 

Good luck!

katym
on 7/7/14 2:34 pm - PA

Hi Jessica,

The surgery is a life-changer so it is natural to be nervous, but do not be scared of drinking water. We are encouraged to drink as much water as possible. Getting plenty of water helps the healing and the weight loss.

The sipping stage is just the immediate post-op period when your new sleeve is swollen and liquids can just trickle in. Most of us get back up to speed fairly quickly though big gulps are not recommended-it can be uncomfortable. Your habit of always having water with you, even on the bedside table, is a good thing. Many people have to learn those habits after surgery, so you are ahead of the game. 

I was very nervous about the no drinking while eating (or 30 minutes before and after) recommendation. I have always had a fear of choking and really thought it would be unsafe not to have water within reach ready to grab whenever I ate. My nutritionist made a deal with me: I could keep the water within reach, but had to promise I would not drink during my meal unless I truly was choking. The sleeve has helped me control not only the overall size of my portion, but also the size and speed of individual bites. I have not needed to drink water during any meal, and now 2 1/2 years after surgery it is just normal not to drink for at least 30 minutes after meals. The timer on my phone comes in really handy. (I do have to admit that over time I have gotten more lax about stopping drinking a full 30 minutes before eating.)

You can do this. Good luck on your weight loss journey, Katy

consult weight 241 (had not been accurately weighed for over 10 years, my medical records just said "wheelchair") high weight was probably closer to 260. 

APerez1122
on 7/7/14 8:04 pm
VSG on 06/26/14

Hello I am about 12 post op VSG before surgery I too was a water fanatic I would drink appox 8 bottles per day. Ever since the surgery I have had trouble fitting in the the 64 oz the doc recommended as well as the protein requirements he recently told me that i should be sipping my way through the day instead of trying to drink at certain times. I can say that the best bet is to do the same as you have before by keeping water handy at all times and just sip all day to ward off heavy thirst and dehydration. I hope this helps best of luck!

G5x5
on 7/7/14 10:53 pm - VA

It's real and it's not a problem, especially if your liquid of choice is water (versus thicker heavier beverages or carbonated stuff).  Yes, no liquids 30 min before or after meals.

But, I usually get 100+ ounces of water minimum and it's probably close to 150 ounces regularly.  If you measure it out, I doubt you're getting 150 ounces of water a day now because most people would be surprised by what it takes to get to that level (with or without the VSG surgery).

Following the surgery you might have a slow down, or you might not.  Some people have difficulties that take time to work back up to a more normal level.  However, many of us (and I was one) never have any difficulty following surgery.  I've always been able handle liquids without trouble following surgery.

The only annoyance is that occassionally I'd like a beverage with a meal, but I just don't do it.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

feels_so_good
on 7/7/14 11:23 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

Sound odd to some, but drinking water and dehydration was my biggest fear (well that and regain 5 years out). Pre-op I was 100oz water a day min and a few days a month I'd hit 250+oz if I was out in the sun or drinking alcohol.

I started practicing water 30 minutes before/after about 90% of my meals for 2-3 months pre-op. I've found if I waited a couple minutes or distracted myself after eating the thirst went away. I couldn't keep water near me, I had to get a glass 30 min after eating, or I'd forget and cheat (or the site of the water made me feel like I was suffering compared to when water was not in reach). 

Home from the hospital, I started with 1 oz of water in my mouth, but had to swallow 2-3 times to get it down. About a week out, I could drink normally. I've been able to drink a cup / 8oz in 3-4 seconds for weeks. For comparison, I used to drink 30 oz in about 5 seconds. I miss that thirst quenching feeling when I get in after a hot walk or mowing the lawn, but well worth the benefits of my VSG. I am/was more of a gulper than an all day long sipper. I think the sipping habit makes it easier, as you already have the habit in place for post-op success.

I drink right up to eating (although I notice better restriction when I wait 30 min). After eating, I wait a minimum of 30 min, but often more like 45 min, 60 min, or up to 2hrs sometimes before drinking. (I used to set my cellphone timer for 30 min so I wouldn't cheat).

The best news is water has so many benefits to our body including with aiding in weight loss, yet will not hurt your sleeve.

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

Tracy D.
on 7/8/14 12:30 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The one rule you should never break is drinking during meals or for 30 minutes after.  It was one of the toughest ones for me too....but I do it now without even thinking about it.   And after the first 3-4 weeks you'll find that you can drink pretty normally.  I can't chug water down now but I can certainly drink 2-3 ounces pretty quickly.  

After the first month or so I was easily getting in 80 oz. of water a day and now I do a 100 oz.  You'll get there - promise! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

JBright1955
on 7/8/14 2:41 am

I drink a lot of decaf tea.  I have been counting it as my "water"  is that acceptable?   I am 5 weeks post op  doing well .

I would appreciate any and all info    Still struggling with protein meals  

Tracy D.
on 7/8/14 2:48 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Yes, definitely count it as "water".  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active