pre op liquid diet for sleeve OMG!

ksoto2014
on 7/12/14 1:49 pm - Sunnyvale , CA

Ok folks My surgery date is for the 23rd of July so I started on the 9th. Today on the 12th and not to be gross it seems like my body is purging all toxins out of my body. Is that normal? I've never done a liquid thing so I have no idea. And really does anyone ever reach the amount of protein they really want u to reach daily that is like 10 shakes. I just realized that today. They have me using designer whey which is only 19g of protein and 100 cal per shake. I am proud I haven't cheated nothing chewed all liquid and regulation approved. but this purging thing is just crazy especially when you only have one bathroom and 2 adults its like a revolving door in that room today. lol Did any body else experience this as well?

Jaime P.
on 7/12/14 2:51 pm
VSG on 07/22/14
On July 12, 2014 at 8:49 PM Pacific Time, ksoto2014 wrote:

Ok folks My surgery date is for the 23rd of July so I started on the 9th. Today on the 12th and not to be gross it seems like my body is purging all toxins out of my body. Is that normal? I've never done a liquid thing so I have no idea. And really does anyone ever reach the amount of protein they really want u to reach daily that is like 10 shakes. I just realized that today. They have me using designer whey which is only 19g of protein and 100 cal per shake. I am proud I haven't cheated nothing chewed all liquid and regulation approved. but this purging thing is just crazy especially when you only have one bathroom and 2 adults its like a revolving door in that room today. lol Did any body else experience this as well?

Mine is the 22nd, so I started 4 days ago. Yes that is completely normal. Liquids in, 'liquids' out... I get one lean meal a day besides the liquids, but I have the same problem.

Instagram

32 y/o female 5'2"; HW 260; GW 140; SW 245.8; CW 233; BMI 43.6

mollz007
on 7/12/14 2:59 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

I did a 7 day liquid diet that consisted of 4 shakes a day. I don't think I had a protein goal that I was given, just as much as possible. I think I was drinking ensure high protein which has 20 g I believe so I got about 80 g a day I guess. I don't remember about the purging but I'm sure that happened lol. Good for you for not cheating, hang in there, surgery will be here before you know it!

check out my blog!

esther
on 7/12/14 4:14 pm - vallejo, CA

I only had to do a liquid diet for one day.  I was very lucky.  But I did have to lose 45# before I could had the surgery.  I don't think I would have done as well with a long liquid diet as you are. 

oufanindallas
on 7/12/14 9:39 pm - Little Elm, TX
VSG on 07/07/14

Congrats on your surgery date.  As for the pre-op diet, you can use multiple sources of protein.  I guess I was lucky that I was allowed one meal a day for dinner consisting of 5oz of lean protein and 2 cups veggies.  If you have a GNC or Vitamin Shoppe nearby, pickup some ISO Pure Zero Carb.  It's a 20 oz bottle and has 40gr protein, multiple flavors as well.  

-Flo-
on 7/12/14 10:59 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I had the same problem. Imodium was my friend! It continued for me the whole time I was on liquids. But its totally worth it in the end.

feels_so_good
on 7/13/14 12:00 am
VSG on 05/20/14

You can always add 2 scoops, or a scoop and a half per shake? I had 5 shakes, about 30g protein per shake during my preop. I mixed about 1 a day with milk or almond milk and the oyhers with water.Some days I had one atkins or similar high protein premade shake in place of one of my powered mixed shakes..

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

Laura222
on 7/13/14 1:39 am
VSG on 07/24/14

I don't have a surgery date yet, but I have my pre-op appointment on the 22nd (which is when I'll get my surgery date) but I was told to start my pre-op diet. Today is day 4 for me. Fortunately, I'm allowed food for all meals during mine. I can have eggs for breakfast, lean meat and veggies for lunch and supper with protein shakes in between my meals. I am worried that my liver won't shrink enough... The amounts are small, but still it's more than what others can have. My last day is a clear liquid day. I think I'm going to do a liquid diet towards the end of the week. I know my surgeon has been doing this for years, but still it makes me nervous. 

HW: 275  SW: 267.4 (1st day of pre-op diet)  Pre-op: -16.5lbs  M1:-17.8  M2:-11.9  M3:-12.5   M4:-16.5   M5:-10.5   M6:-5.1

oufanindallas
on 7/13/14 3:01 am - Little Elm, TX
VSG on 07/07/14

If you follow your doctor's diet then you should be fine.  They give you a diet that they are comfortable with.  Just as each doctor has different post-op plans, most have different pre-op as well.

Funeee
on 7/13/14 4:50 am

Hi, I've never joined a forum before, but have been reading the posts on this forum for awhile now, and they have been a great comfort to me.  I am scheduled to have VSG on 7/16/14, and have been on the liquid diet since 7/2, I've lost 14 lbs, as of this morning, and my doc wanted me to lose 15 by surgery date.  Yesterday I started to feel nauseous.  I had 2 Saltine crackers, and it helped, but I felt guilty.Today when awoke, I felt very disoriented and dizzy, so I had 2 scrambled eggs.  I, of course enjoyed having the eggs and I'm feeling much better now, and I will continue on my liquid diet as required.  I feel guilty, but, is it just possible the liquid diet can be more drastic for some people, more  than others? 

Most Active