How many VSG people have acid reflux?

Sally L.
on 7/17/14 2:30 am

Hello!  Thinking of revising to the sleeve from the band, but Newsmaxhealth.com said that many people who get the sleeve continue to have acid reflux or some who didn't develop it after surgery.  This is an important issue for me and I am hoping to resolve Acid Reflux issues.  Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated!  

SALLY - banded May 9, 2007 Check out my new fun fall photos!

Gwen M.
on 7/17/14 2:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I know that, for many people, reflux is actually a result of a hernia and the hernia gets fixed in conjunction with the sleeve.  And other people end up taking Nexium or Protonix for the rest of their lives.  Have you been checked for a hernia?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sally L.
on 7/17/14 4:26 am

Thanks for your response, GwenMo.  Are you from Missouri, by chance?  I have not been checked for hernias.  I recognize that I have one in my naval area, but have had it for a long time. I think my acid reflux is from the band.  I didn't have issues until I got a really big fill last summer.  I had some taken out, and it got better for a while, but has started again.  The doc told me yesterday that I have probably lost all I am going to lose with the band.  I lost 110 pounds, gained 50 back and lost it again, but now have gained 10 back.  My BMI is 34 now.  I am just really tired of all of the acid reflux and discomfort I have when eating.  

Dreamingofbeaches
on 7/17/14 2:40 am
with

I am only 2 weeks post op so I don't know how things will turn out, but my doctor said that my pre op reflux will likely go away. Here's hoping!

-Jen

Consult weight 4/7/14: 381.5   SW 7/1/14:

Sally L.
on 7/17/14 4:28 am

I hope so too, Dreamingofbeaches!  I wish you all the best.  Many many people I have talked to or read posts from love their sleeves!  Congratulations on beginning the journey!

Mrs_Desire _
on 7/17/14 2:42 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13

My acid reflux has gotten WAY better after having the band removed. I actually can go for days without taking any acid reflux meds now.

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

Sally L.
on 7/17/14 4:29 am

This is great news, Ms. Desire!  I wish you continued success, and I am glad you don't have to deal with that nasty stuff much anymore!

Kelley D.
on 7/17/14 2:49 am

Right after surgery it was pretty bad, I took a nexium a day for many months. but at 3 years out I rarely have to take anything, just an occasional Rolaid.

Height: 5'8"  Start weight:316 My goal: 190 Surgeons goal:175. reached my goal... 3years out, had some bounce back time to get back on track!

Sally L.
on 7/17/14 4:32 am

Thanks, Kelley, for your response.  I could handle it for a short time if it got better in the long run.  I just don't want to go through life with this awful nuisance!  Congrats on your success!  Keep up the good work!

TruemansMom
on 7/17/14 4:49 am
VSG on 06/24/13

My reflux went away post surgery but came back big time. They fixed a mid-sized hernia when they did the VSG. An endoscopy last week showed I have a small one now so I hope to get that repaired this summer. Not lovin the meds but they do work 75% of the time and I really like not waking up with a cough or sore throat! The Doc said it is not uncommon for VSG patients to have GERD, but I was not interested in RNY or the band, so here I am.

Good luck.

Jan D.  5'-8", highest wt 231, surgery wt 213

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views