Yes, your stomach will stretch - realistic expectations

Grim_Traveller
on 7/24/14 11:59 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Great post Valerie. The same goes for RNY folks too. I get tired of those with any surgery that insist all of the stretchy part of the stomach was removed or bypassed, and insist that what is left will never, ever stretch. That's just wrong, as you so eloquently pointed out.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MacMadame
on 7/24/14 3:55 pm - Northern, CA

Something else people don't seem to realize is that the stomach is designed to stretch. It stretches every time you eat! In fact, that's one of the ways people think the brain gets a full signal. It really has to because the actual size of our stomach is pretty small. If we could only eat that much (about the size of a magic marker), we'd starve!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

AllisonKara
on 7/24/14 11:59 pm

Thanks a ton Valerie for all the guidelines, which are of great help for many like myself.Your 8 1/2 yrs of experience is something we all can learn from and also feel good about it.People do get worried thinking what will happen after the first year,but if someone like you comes forward and shares their experiences then I sure it will be of great help and the beginners can plan everything well in advance and can be less stressed.

rhondagr
on 7/25/14 2:36 am

Thank you so much for posting this.  I had surgery 6 months ago and can already tell that I can eat more...and I have been worried.  I'm still losing but very slowly.  Thanks again!

robinreinhardt
on 7/25/14 2:40 am

Valerie,

Thank you for the post. Good information to have for us newbies. I always appreciate your input. Have a great week end.

Robin

Mammaof4OH
on 2/2/17 9:59 pm
VSG on 11/18/15

Thank you so much for this post!!  I'm at over a year out and started freaking out because I could eat more..lol   So finding this post was exactly what I needed.  :)

Most Active