Is this correct?

sdkitty
on 7/24/14 5:32 am, edited 7/24/14 5:56 am

My surgery was June 17th so I'm about 5 weeks out. I start off my day with a protein drink about 8am then at 11am, 3pm, 6pm and 9pm I have a small meal which usually consists of 1.5-2 ounces of protein depending on what it is. That puts me at about 500-600 calories and 60 grams of protein. Is that too much? Too Little? Just right? I'm confused.

My husband had surgery 3 weeks before me. We started at the same exact weight and he's already down to 222. I know you're not supposed to compare and I know men lose a lot faster, but it seems like he eats way more than me and the weight falls off of him where as I'm usually stalled at least a few days a week. 

I'd love any input to what I may be doing wrong. 

Tracy D.
on 7/24/14 5:49 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You are doing fine!  In a couple more months it would be good to get that protein up to 80 grams per day but it's really good for so early out.  

Do NOT, repeat do NOT compare yourself to your husband.  He's a man:  men will ALWAYS lose faster, they will ALWAYS lose more and they will ALWAYS be able to eat more while still losing weight.  It's just a physiological fact of life.  Women have an extra layer of body fat that men don't have and our hormones play a bigger role in our weight loss.  Because men have more muscle mass they burn more calories just while sitting still; therefore, they can eat more than women can without gaining weight.  

I would make sure that you are tracking every single bite of food in a program like MyFitness Pal; that you are drinking at least 80 oz. of water a day; and that you are keeping your carbs in the range your doctor has set for you.   If you're doing all that then you've got this dialed in and just need to practice patience.  This is not a race to the finish line - it's the way you need to live for the rest of your life.   

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Gwen M.
on 7/24/14 5:50 am
VSG on 03/13/14

What are your surgeon's guidelines?  

For me, I'm only allowed three meals a day (plus a shake) and need to get 60-80 grams of protein.  Are you getting in at least 64 ounces of water too?  

We all lose differently.  Follow your plan and you'll reach your goal.  It's not a race or a competition to see who can get it off the fastest.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

sdkitty
on 7/24/14 5:52 am, edited 7/24/14 5:56 am

Thanks for the reply! I honestly just get paranoid I'm eating too much and I don't want to mess this up. Four times a day just seems like a lot to me, even though it's very small portions.  I use My Fitness Pal daily and try to keep my carbs around 30-40grams. Is that ok? Sometimes I'm a little under and sometimes a little over. I do have problems with my water intake, but right now I try every day for the 64oz. I hope I can get there and up it more from there, I know that would help too.

sdkitty
on 7/24/14 5:55 am, edited 7/24/14 5:56 am

The surgeon's guidelines do say four 1-2oz meals per day plus shakes as needed. I hadn't reviewed that in a while so I feel better after reading that.

Tlove6
on 7/24/14 8:56 am

Sounds great! I'm 5 weeks out. Eat 3 meals and 2 snacks. One of my meals is usually a shake. I hit between 60-70 grams of protein a day and range between 450-600 cal a day. Carbs are around 30. I also use MFP to track everything. Water is the only  thing I don't actually measure. I keep a running count in my head of the bottles I drink. I'm sure I could do better. 

I have lost 30 pounds in 6 weeks, if you include the pre-op. 

Final comment....keep it up and DO NOT compare yourself to hubby. My hubby and I did WW together years ago and he flew by me in weight loss.

HW: 283; SW: 269; pre-op: -12, M1: -16.2; M2: -10.6; M3: -13.3; M4: -8.2; M5: -8.9; M6: -8.5

Most Active