October 8th with Dr QuinonasTiajuana Mexico

NotJustaPrettyFace1
on 8/3/14 8:21 am

My surgery is scheduled for October 8th. My dr is Dr Quinones. I am 35 and I weigh exactly 400 pounds! My doctor (Dr. Q) wants me to go on a 28 day diet to be followed by the two week liquid diet before surgery so I'm going to start that process now instead of waiting so that I can be as healthy as I can before surgery. I am scared out of my mind and I keep fighting with myself thinking I should be able to do this on my own rather than take the risk of dying now on the operating table instead of when the weight finally gets me. I am married and I have two daughters 14 yrs and 15 yrs.  the 14 year old is mine and the 15 year old is my step daughter. But I love them both very much. My husband and my daughter are both very skinny and my stepdaughter has just a slight weight issue but nothing major. My daughter and her step dad (my husband) do NOT get along and so the worry of dying on that table overwhelms me when I think about how she will pretty much be alone if I die. I worry because of my high BMI and I do not find many people that have had this surgery that have my BMI. So then I go over risk factors and I wonder how many of those people that either had complications or worse were people with higher BMIs. Comparable to mine. 

i have never been so completely excited and happy and terrified all at the same time.

Amber G.
on 8/3/14 8:52 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Congrats, and wishing you the very best with your surgery!! I was also terrified, and posted on here about "what if I die" - but I think nearly all of us thought about that prior. Its totally normal to have fears, as it is a major surgery. I almost backed out! The thing that helped me the most, was research research and more research :) I gave me a lot of comfort know this surgery has has pretty low numbers on complications and death most importantly. This site and the wonderful people here helped me tons too! You will be just fine, and it will end up being the best thing you ever did for your self, if you follow the plan. I would not change it for the world! Congrats again!! 

traci.m.brown
on 8/3/14 9:04 am - Jewell, KS

I'm not sure what your bmi is now, but I just had surgery less than two weeks ago and I have a bmi of 62. I was worried about dying in surgery too. My husband is a brittle diabetic and could not raise our four kids alone without some serious help. But I made it and am glad I did this not just for me but for all of us at home. The way we've been living hasn't really been living anyway. Good luck! I know you'll do fine and definitely so if you do the preop diet!

greensleeved
on 8/3/14 11:18 pm
VSG on 07/10/14 with

It is terrifying, but so worth it. The change of death is really very low with this procedure. Just be sure your dr. is board certified and has lots of experience. You are in more danger getting in your car to run errands than you are from VSG. And your long term health is the most important investment you can make!!!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Most Active