Mirena/Periods Post-op (question- some TMI)

mrspetty
on 8/4/14 1:33 pm
VSG on 03/26/14

I have a question. I am using the Mirena (IUD) for birth control. I've had it for just over 3 years. Since I had it inserted I don't have a period. Or at least, I don't bleed on my period. About a month or so after I had weight loss surgery I started to have very very light bleeding. It would usually only last two days, and not even all day. A week ago, I started bleeding really heavily. And had intense cramps, along with the moodiness/lack of energy, etc that comes with my period when not using birth control. I'm still bleeding. Really lightly and the cramping has stopped, but there is still some bleeding. I've lost 90 pounds since surgery in March. Is this just my body adjusting the hormone levels? Is this normal? Should I give my GYN a call? Anyone have similar experiences?

mickeymantle
on 8/4/14 3:45 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

DO NOT TRUST ANY FORM OF HORMONAL BIRTH CONTROL WHILE IN THE LOSING PHASE, hormones are stored in your fat and will  released when you lose weight , you will get funny periods and it is possible to get pregnant

most doctors will want you to use a second form of birth control during rapid weight lose

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

MAchick
on 8/5/14 3:33 am
VSG on 01/27/14

Mirena is a different form of birth control unlike pills. It releases hormones into the uterus,  yes,  but it also alters the lining of the uterus to prevent pregnancy as well.  My surgeon is perfectly fine with my using the Mirena during this process,  but did not allow bc pills.

Obviously,  talk to your own surgeon.

Jennsumner722
on 8/4/14 9:24 pm
VSG on 04/23/14 with

I have the paragard it's non hormonal and I haven't had any problems. 

Tracy D.
on 8/4/14 11:46 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Yes, please call your GYN as soon as possible.  I haven't had similar experiences but I worked at a family planning clinic for 7 years and I'm familiar with the Mirena, its side effects, etc.  

One of the questions you'll GYN will ask is if you can still feel the strings of the IUD.  If you can't then you need to get in there ASAP so they can do an ultrasound to see if the IUD is somewhere other than your uterus.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

somethingwitty372
on 8/6/14 1:49 am

I know my weight loss has changed my hormones enough to kick my once dormant cycle back into gear, so I would assume your issue could certainly be a result of weight loss/hormonal changes. Honestly though, I'm not much help in this situation bc I just had my first mirena put in 2 weeks ago, 2 months post OP. I have PCOS and before losing my first 40lbs (preop) I got a period once or twice a year. After those 40lbs came off, my reproductive system got a kickstart and like clockwork I got 3 periods in a row, one before surgery and 2 after. Since having the mirena put in, I've been bleeding everyday. Some days it's almost nothing, just a little on the TP when I pee, other days its like a full on period. I guess I have a question for you, and I know it varies from person to person, but after having your first mirena put in, how long did you all bleed? I've read it can go on for as long as three months! I'm really hoping that's not that case for me, bc lets face it, there's no point in being on BC if it makes you bleed and keeps you from being able to have (not gross) sex! 

VSG w/Dr. John J Kelly @ UMASS memorial on 5/14/14 HW 271.6 SW 231.6 M1-21.6, M2-13.2, M3-11.8, M4-12.8, M5-9.4

mrspetty
on 8/6/14 10:46 am
VSG on 03/26/14

Thank you. My bleeding has stopped, and I am pretty sure it was just a heavy period. I'm really hoping this isn't my new normal. No bleeding was one reason I went with the Mirena. I am definitely going to get in to see my GYN soon.

As for the initial bleeding, this is my second time using it, and with each one I didn't bleed much after it was inserted. Two weeks is definitely withing normal, though, and I wouldn't worry. I can understand it being frustrating though. When do you go back in to check the positioning?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 47 views