VSG and 1 hr glucose test when pregnant

nsw112380
on 8/18/14 10:36 am - Tucson, AZ

So I had my VSG in Dec 2008 so I am well healed and all but this is my first pregnancy after the surgery. I just did my 1hr glucose test that goes with pregnancy and although we have not gotten the actual results back yet (hopefully tomorrow) the dr is saying my numbers look high so we may have to do the 3hr test...My question is has anyone else had this issue? I am thinking that after having this surgery, the results would be different because the sugar I do have is not necessarily broke down like before...right? I have 2 other children that were from before VSG and didn't have any issues when it came to the glucose test. Any info any one can give me would be helpful. Thank you in advance :-)

danoielle
on 8/18/14 11:07 am

Your stomach cannot process sugar/glucose like it did before your surgery which, according to my OB, makes the results of the glucose test inaccurate.  I would not submit to another glucose test without asking your doctor to look into it further.  It would be more accurate to do daily finger pokes for a week and record your results.  Best wishes for good results. 

kellyomama
on 8/18/14 3:30 pm

Excellent question, would like to know the answer fof future endeavors- hope you get it figured out.

Rez_123
on 8/19/14 12:06 am

This article is long and is focused on paleo eaters, but if you have been protein focused and avoiding processed sugar since surgery it will apply:

http://robbwolf.com/2010/09/06/gestational-diabetes-what-constitutes-low-blood-sugar/

VSG on July 1, 2014.  High Weight: 351 Consult Weight: 338 Surgery Weight: 325  Current Weight: 175

6 Month Pre-op: -13 M1: -27 M2: -14 M3: -23 M4: -14 M5: -20 M6: -10 M7: -14 M8: -8 M9: -3 M10: -7 M11: -1 M12:-0 M13:-0 M14:-8

Total Weight Loss: 163lbs

civilmomma
on 8/19/14 12:14 am
VSG on 03/07/14

*not a doctor, but have taken my fair share of glucose/GD tests*

This surgery did not change anything but your stomach size.  Your pylorus valve still works the same way so the drink would have entered your system at the same speed.  Your insulin response to the glucose would be the same too.  I think the test is valid in a sense that IF you consumed that much glucose at once, you may not be able to process it right away correctly (diabetes) - but the big point is that you likely don't eat that much sugar at once and aren't asking your body to process that much at once.  basically while you may clinically have GD, your sleeve makes you eat like a diet controlled diabetic anyways, so you really wouldn't change anything about your daily life.

Also - I don't understand why they don't have results yet, but the doc said it looked high...either they got the #s or they didn't.

If you "failed" the 1 hour - they will probably want to do a 3 hour test which may clear you from a GD diagnosis.  Your other option would be to take the GD diagnosis and just go straight to the dietician to review your diet and do the glucose monitor testing.

Better to work at managing blood sugar and know there isn't a problem than be in denial and cause stress to the baby.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

civilmomma
on 8/19/14 12:21 am
VSG on 03/07/14

Another option is to request an A1C in lieu of the glucose testing.  The A1C will give a bigger picture of your glucose levels (most heavily weighted to the recent weeks, but the history is about 3m in total).

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/14 12:48 am

First off, congrats!!!!!     

Here is a little known fact... you can refuse any test you don't want to take. They cannot force you. You are paying them for a service to you. They are not the boss of you.

On that note I would also ask to do A1C, or finger ***** testing.

If I am ever pregnant again I am going to REFUSE to do the glucose testing (I too have done the 1hr and 3hr many times). There is NO WAY on earth I would be able to drink the volume they want or stop myself from puking it up. I have heard some doctors will do testing after a carby meal or with jelly beans.

Just remember... YOU ARE THE BOSS AND THEY ARE WORKING FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Blithe1212
on 8/19/14 4:23 am
VSG on 03/05/14

I second this! I was told before I even had my surgery that when I got pregnant I could NOT do that glucose test because of the volume of liquid needed. Get an A1C done. Good luck

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views