seniors over 60 who are Pre-op or already sleeved

peggyann5
on 8/26/14 9:38 pm
I myself am 61 and would love to see posts and journey stories from others my age.

nursebonnie
on 8/26/14 10:25 pm
VSG on 08/19/14

I am 62 and was sleeved 8/19/14. I am doing very well with absolutely no problems. I do not have any comorbidities and only have 50 pounds to lose. I was banded in 2010 and had it removed due to reflux in May. I lost 75 pounds with the band and love it. I know I am going to love my sleeve also. I figure I do not want to regain weight as I get older. I already had one total knee replacement. No more.

I say go for it.

LeapSecond
on 8/26/14 10:56 pm - AR

I'm 57, so right behind you.  I have had years of the losing - regaining cycle.  In January I had a heart cath and was encourage by my cardiologist to seek WLS.  I was 362 at that time.  I followed up with my PCP and was again encouraged to consider WLS.  I was very resistant to the idea of WLS.  I was sure I could 'lose it on my own" again.  I started reading and watching videos like a fiend.  As I educated myself I came around.  I am pre-op but I am supposed to get a date today.  I'm so excited.  My wife and I are going on this journey together.  Same day. 

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

cappy11448
on 8/27/14 12:34 am

Hi, I am currently 66 and was sleeved at 64.  I put off WLS for years because I was determined to do it on my own, and after many, many failures and hitting a high weight of 385 pounds, I made the decision.  I was at the point where I could see my life as a downward spiral with more and more pain and isolation and less and less mobility.  I hit bottom and had to do something.

So at that point, the decision was easy.  I did not see any other choice - either surgery or diminishing health and early death. I had the surgery about 15 months ago. It was a piece of cake.  Little surgical pain, little gas pain.  I didn't need anything stronger than Tylenol.  I asked for lots of anti-nausea drugs and they worked well.  I felt like I had the flu for about three days - headache and very tired - I think that was from the anesthesia. 

I was back to working from home by day 5.  I was tired for months and had long naps daily.  I attributed that to my age.  The recovery and getting used to my new tummy was not fun, but not terrible.  It was 7 weeks before the swelling went down in my stomach so I could eat more than an ounce at a time.  Again, it was not pleasant, but manageable. 

The good news is that I now weigh 164 pounds -  I've lost 221 pounds.  My BMI went from 60.5 to 24.9.  All the pain in my knees and back is done.  My energy is terrific.  I feel so healthy and like I have a new lease on life.

Its not easy.  I really committed to changing my behavior.  I had an acquaintance who had the surgery 5 years before me and had been urging me to do so. She had been so enthusiastic and committed to the program.  But when I called her to tell her my good news about having wls,  she told me that she had gained most of the weight back.  She did fine the first 2 years, but she did not follow the program, started grazing, and she defeated herself.  This put the fear of God in me.  If I was going to remove more than half my stomach, I darn well was going to follow the program.  I am very committed to eating only healthy foods at meal times.  It has become habit for me.  It takes discipline, but I am the same person who got to 385 pounds.  the WLS changes your body so it becomes possible to manage the eating. 

So I want you to know it works.  It is worth doing even if you are older.  You deserve to have health and energy.  Obesity is a disease and the only treatment that works is Weight loss surgery.  Do it!

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

ThinLizzy
on 8/27/14 1:28 am - Benicia, CA

I am 60 now (was sleeved at 53). So happy I did it! Easy surgery and recovery and I'm maintaining my weight 7 years later!

Lizanne

Oh, and I sure don't consider myself a senior! I feel like I did when I was 30...

Starting BMI-38.5, Surgery 08/14/07

Mary Gee
on 8/27/14 2:45 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I'm 62 and was sleeved 5/14/14.  Best thing I could have done for myself.  The surgery itself was a breeze, post-op I was a bit "uncomfortable" for about a week, but nothing serious.  Hardest part was post-op I was on a three week liquid diet.  I haven't had any problems -- and I'm feeling so much better, and am more active.  LOVING LIFE!!!  Wish I had it done years ago, before some of my comorbidities surfaced.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

diane S.
on 8/27/14 3:53 am

i am 62 and was sleeved at 58. had an easy time. read my blog page for my story. was a slow loser but got there.   go for it. diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

peggyann5
on 8/27/14 7:54 am
Thank you all for replying to the post, I like hearing about all success stories but I just really like to know how people in my age group have done with their pre-and post op. I am still in the pre-op stage with 3 more supervised wt loss appointments from my PCP, I have already had my upper gi, all labs,ekg , I go to my NUT. on Sept 26 and the therapist visit and then to my surgeons office again on the 30th of sept. I have lost 17 lbs, but that is just a tiny amount. I started out at 280 and I am 263. I wish you all the very best.

DeeNY52
on 8/27/14 8:59 am

I was sleeved last November at age 61, now I am 62 and I look and feel better at 62 than I did at 42.  After a lifetime of many,many diets and losing 20 gaining 30,losing 35 gaining 40 - well, you probably know the drill.

I breezed through the surgery- had it on Tuesday and back at work the next Monday.  My BP is 110/60, and my constant and terrible back pain is 99% gone.

You won't be sorry. 

Good luck deciding.

Dee

KathyA999
on 8/27/14 9:08 am, edited 8/27/14 9:10 am

Peggyann, hope to see you on the loser's bench soon!  I was 60 at the time of my sleeve.  I have to say, I had zero issues (other than severe constipation early out from the Lortab, which I took to sleep, rather than because of pain - don't do that!).  No medical problems, no foods I couldn't tolerate, no sudden lactose intolerance, no differences in what I liked and didn't like.  (MAJOR change in what I would/wouldn't choose to eat, of course.)  Never puked, but two episodes of foamies in four years (one fairly recently, go figure).  Never regretted my decision, and only wish the VSG had been available 40 years ago and that I had done it then.

I had GERD before surgery and still do - no better or worse than before.  I take an Rx for it, and a handful of vites/supps.  I follow a fairly high fat/moderate protein/very low carb food plan in order to maintain my current weight.  All good, and I'm VERY happy!  :-)

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views