Pain question- 2 weeks out

Capegin
on 8/26/14 1:22 pm, edited 8/26/14 1:23 pm

Hi all,

I do plan to call my doctor tomorrow, but I was curious if anyone else experienced this!  The pain from the upper left incision seems to be getting worse instead of better. I know this was my bigger, more stretched incision, and there is a staple in the muscle there, but there are times I'm in tears two weeks out.  Laughing hard feels like someone is twisting a knife there!  Then, this morning, my three year old started to slip.  While I didn't end up having to catch her, I did move as though I was going to.  Since then, that spot has required my hand holding it in even more than usual... any movement can cause the pain. Anyone else?  Common?  Thanks!!

kellyomama
on 8/26/14 1:32 pm

Oh no! I hope its just a little tender from the stretching movement and nothing too serious. Call the dr and update as soon as you're feeling ok. Thinking of you!

kellyomama
on 8/26/14 1:37 pm

Oh, and I had days when I felt sore (nannying) and I felt like I had to hold my insides, kind of like you said, but never a sharp knife-like pain. I used an ice pack and took my pain meds (if you have any left) This may help while you wait to hear back from the dr.

Capegin
on 8/26/14 1:49 pm

Thanks-and I know I'm long overdue for a reply!!!  It's coming, lol!  Unfortunately, I didn't get any pain meds, 😞.  They suggested Tylenol Elixer, which is useless.  I will def try ice, though!  Thanks for the tip!

Amy M.
on 8/26/14 2:55 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I'm surprised that your surgeon didn't prescribe you any pain meds.  If the pain is that bad you may want to consider calling and asking for something for the pain.  Make sure and tell them that the Tylenol isn't helping.  Usually they are pretty good about stuff like that.  I also had a lot of soreness around a couple of my incisions.  I also had a hernia repair so I had pain from that too.  From what I understand it's pretty normal and nothing to worry about too much.  However, if you start to feel sick and get a fever then you should call your dr right away or go to the ER because it could be signs of a leak.  Keep us posted and good luck!

wyo_sarah
on 8/27/14 1:29 am

My upper left incision hurt too.  I called the nurse and she said that is where my doctor inserted the camera, which is kind of big and has to be moved around, so as it starts to heal it hurts more than the others.  Mine felt better when I put some pressure on it with my hand.  It was pretty awful at times.  Maybe that is what you are experiencing...

Nottooskinnyplease
on 8/27/14 2:18 am

I think you should call your doctor.  For me when it comes to medical stuff I always go to the internet first in what I think is an effort at finding an easy answer and avoiding being worried.  However, there are just some things that you have to reach out to the doctor for.  I think this is one of them.  Better safe than sorry is a good motto. 

I will tell you that at around 2 weeks I was feeling pretty good and in a moment of stupidity forgot that I just had a major surgery when my son came running up to me.  I lifted him over my head and felt a sharp pain exactly where you are describing.  Perhaps you over exerted yourself but I suggest calling your dr to be sure. 

secretsleeves
on 8/27/14 3:36 am

I am three weeks out and I wrote the post you just wrote last week. The pain is like a searing stabbing pain, and it is awful. I just hit three weeks today and that awful pain is now just sore. I was so unhappy and then 4 days after 2 weeks it started to really lift. My surgeon did okay Advil and that helped a lot. He even admitted to me Tylenol is worthless. You should hopefully feel much better next week and try and rest because that pain is not in your head, I know how much it hurts!

VSG on 8/6/2014

Capegin
on 8/27/14 4:30 am

Thank you... you described it exactly with searing and stabbing... like a burning knife!  I called my surgeon and he gave me something stronger, thank goodness.  It just took the edge off.  I'm glad yours is better!!!

secretsleeves
on 8/28/14 9:17 am

I'm happy to hear you got some relief. I know how miserable you are so just try and take it easy and make sure you use the pain medicine. This was a very big surgery, but I promise the difference from 2 to 3 weeks is unbelievable. Hang in there and I'm hoping you feel better soon!!

VSG on 8/6/2014

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views