Eating and drinking at the same time....

Justme7
on 8/28/14 11:31 pm, edited 8/28/14 11:39 pm - ID

I know that we are not supposed to eat and drink at the same time and have read Frisco's article several times. But can you have a small sip of water say 15 minutes before eating to take a pill?  I was thinking about taking the PPI when I get up with a small sip of water and then eating breakfast 15 minutes later. If this is not ok then how should the routine be done?  Do most people eat breakfast and then take the PPI a half hour later?   

Justme7

Stacy_WLS
on 8/28/14 11:49 pm

Drinking beforehand is not a big deal.  It is afterwards that is the problem.  

Lately, I have been forgetting my vitamins so often, that if I remember during a meal I will take them right then.  I can't take them except with food otherwise I get sick.  

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Jackie T.
on 8/29/14 12:00 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Ideally you don't eat or drink before but my doctor said a sip before to lubricate everything is okay but don't drink to the point that it fills your stomach up.  You don't have much room so if you have a lot of fluid filling your stomach up then you don't have room for solid food.  I have to take my multivitamin with food or I get very sick to my stomach so I will just drink enough to swallow my pill and then eat.  Drinking afterwards is worse because it breaks the food down quicker and washes it out of your stomach quickly and then you are hungry again.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

chriswife19
on 8/29/14 12:02 am
VSG on 05/28/14

My NUT advised me that it is not much of a problem to drink less than 30 minutes before a meal, but it is very important not to drink 30 minutes after.

Highest weight - 260  Surgery weight - 197.5  Current Weight - 152

Kelly Jean
on 8/29/14 12:07 am
VSG on 04/08/14

I always take my Vits right before breakfast ... I also will drink if I need to right up to before I eat and then I wait at least  45 mins before I have anything better safe then sorry lol!!! :-)

♡ Kelly

kagrady2005
on 8/29/14 12:18 am
VSG on 09/10/14

I was told Tuesday at my Pre-Op class that you can drink all the way up to your first bite then stop drinking until 30 minutes after you take the last bite.

She said this rule was because fluids can push the food through and make you hungrier. (And for RNY patients, she said it could increase the chances of dumping since the food would be totally undigested.)

Gwen M.
on 8/29/14 12:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I always drink right up to the minute I start eating.  I just don't drink during or after a meal, because the liquid would take up precious room in my stomach that I haven't got.  

When I take my PPI, I take it in the morning when I wake up (between 7-8am) and I don't tend to eat my first solid food until 1-2pm.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Tracy D.
on 8/29/14 12:52 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Most PPIs need to be taken on an empty stomach - at least mine explicitly states that.  It's perfectly OK to drink before a meal, most post-ops find they can drink right up until a meal and be just fine.   

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

frisco
on 8/29/14 2:36 am

First...... "Do as your doctor says"

- For most, you can drink all the way up to the time of eating (the pyloric valve is wide open)

I've been told that a normal stomach clears in about 90 minutes and a sleeved stomach clears in about half that time.

I normally resume drinking well over an hour and most times closer to two hours.

"Why"...... (generally speaking) after a dense protein and your pyloric valve is closed down to the diameter of the head of a ball point pen. In this stage you can't really wash food through.... it's just going to come up.

As your pyloric valve starts to open again to let food into the small intestine, than fluids can start washing the pre digested food through.

Holding off on drinking after a meal normally has the benefit of an increased duration of satiety. Keeping food in your sleeve for the longest amount of time as well as after food passes the pyloric valve helps with feeling satisfied longer. (Satiety after food passes the pyloric valve is a whole other subject)

The most effective way to use a PPI is to take it about an hour before you eat. Slow down the acid production before you eat. If you take it after you eat, the acid is already being produced and than about an hour later after you have taken the PPI it's a little late.

Hope this helps...

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

feels_so_good
on 8/30/14 1:04 am
VSG on 05/20/14

Wanted to add that I drink right up to a minute or two before I eat as well. If I've been running around and am low on water, I'll drink a cup as I'm cooking dinner, then nothing for at least 30 minutes. Thanks to frisco's advice (and being able to drink water quickly if I fall behind on my intake) I try to wait an hour and often go 2 hours or more after a meal w/o drinking. 

I drink 25 oz when I wake up, breakfast 10 min later 8 - 9 am

I drink 20 oz after I get to work during the morning, eat lunch at 1:30 pm

I drink 25 oz about 3 hrs later, then a snack around 5pm

I drink 25 oz when I get home, then dinner a few minutes later at 8pm

If I eat dinner before my fluids (and drink 30-60 minutes later), I notice that I have more restriction - and will keep this in mind down the road should I need more restriction. Same with my lunch - the sooner I finish my morning water at work, and the more time there is between lunch, the greater the restriction when I eat lunch. Just my experience :)

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

Most Active