Question for former LapBanders

lianna
on 9/30/14 10:55 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

My band has been empty for 4-5 years due to overfill and/or possible slip.  Dr advised an unfill to see if it resolved itself.  Once the fluid was out I was fine.  No restriction to help maintain weight, but no more throwing up everything including my own spit.  Another refill and unfill followed.  I never went back and have had an empty band since (and sadly regained 75 lbs).

The issues I have been having the past year are what convinced me to have the band removed...   I can eat 2-3 bites and instantly start sliming and have that horrible pressure with pain until I throw it up.  This happens with almost everything I eat, any and all times of the day.  Even soups, oatmeal, mashed potatoes, etc...   Once I get it up I am fine.  I can eat the rest of the meal afterward with NO issues.   Can an empty band slip?  Has my band migrated, caused that much scar tissue, or what?  I am just curious, since I will know for sure once he gets in there to remove it.  Do these symptoms sound familiar to anyone?

Lianna   lapband 2005, removed 2014.  VSG 3/9/15

chicagobearsfan
on 9/30/14 11:11 am

What does your surgeon say might be happening?  It might be related to pseudo achalasia secondary to the band, I had some symptoms that were similar. Unfortunately even two months postop after revision to sleeve  they still happen but not as bad as before.

lianna
on 9/30/14 11:22 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

I am going to Dr. Alvarez in Mexico for removal.  He wont know until he gets in there.  I was just curious if anyone had similar issues.... but I was banded in 05 and have the original/obsolete 9.75 cm 4cc band. 

donnamy3sons
on 9/30/14 6:25 pm - Pinetops, NC
Revision on 08/13/13

sounds very familiar...found out I had tons of scar tissue around my stomach that had adhered to my liver and all around my port. He said it made me have restriction even though my band was empty. I threw up all the time it was aweful! so glad I got it out and converted to sleeve....good luck

lianna
on 10/1/14 8:04 am - South, TX
VSG on 03/09/15 with

I know I will be glad to get it out too!  I think I am mostly worried that if it something like scar tissue that he wont be able or willing to do the revision at the same time.  He said it is a 50/50 chance.

Most Active