Lapband to VSG

Subrinas1025
on 9/30/14 1:03 am

Hi! I'm new to the site. I've been banded since August 2007 and I've been having so much acid reflux.... Like I wake up in the middle of the night and I'm throwing it up. My doc is thinking my band may have slipped and I esophageal dilation. I'm having a barium swallow tomorrow to see what's going on. He said my two choices were 1) have the band removed or 2)have the band removed and do the sleeve. Has anyone else had to do this? He informed me that this is pretty common with band patients. 

Also, all of you VSG veterans, what is your diet like after surgery? I'm just starting to do my research and I'd love to see links to your favorite info sites and hear your stories! 

Last thing... My husband and I met post Lapband, and he hates that I have it. I'm thinking he doesn't want me to have the sleeve. Any words of wisdom to help me talk to him??? 

Thanks so much! 

mmsmom
on 9/30/14 1:53 am, edited 9/30/14 1:53 am - Woburn, MA

I got my band Nov 2007 and had it until Feb of this year.  Went from 233 to lowest of 157 (which took me a long, long time).  A few years ago band started giving me trouble - choking at night if tight enough for restriction or when loosened -no restriction and gained back up to 210.  Got sleeved April 28 this year and down to 144 already.  The sleeve is awesome.  Eating is well restricted at first and now I can eat a reasonable amount, but still not alot - maybe 1/2 cup of food as opposed to 1/4 c like at first.  My husband was opposed to both and got used to the idea.  I let him think the "sleeve" was like a band and did not fess up to part of my stomach being removed until I was well into the process.  Needless to say, he is fine with it now, haha.  I'm still in the losing stage so i try to eat well - protein first, seldom any potatoes or pasta or anything like that, but I do eat some bread on occassion and enjoy a good no sugar added fudgesicle almost nightly.  Good luck.

VSG on 04/28/2014

Subrinas1025
on 9/30/14 3:12 am

Thank you so much for sharing your story with me. I know with my band, I can hardly eat any meat, chicken, etc to get my protein.... Nothing will pass through and I always feel hungry. How does that compare to your sleeve. Any trouble digesting those proteins? I'm so excited and I hope I can get my hubby on bored. 

mmsmom
on 9/30/14 3:29 am - Woburn, MA

It is tough to get out of the band mentality.  I still spit out the skin when I eat a grape or tomato and it really isn't necessary any more, lol.  I was surprised at the difficulty i had eating swordfish with the vsg - but time is improving that.  I have had no trouble with pork, chicken, beef or shrimp.  I used to be able to eat some pasta with my band, but it doesn't go in well with the sleeve, which makes me sad.  However, a nice meatball with sauce tastes just as good.  I haven't had alot of hunger.  Unlike some, my sleeve will not tolerate refined sugar or anything too fatty - it goes right through me.  I guess this is a blessing in disguise.  

VSG on 04/28/2014

mickeymantle
on 9/30/14 4:26 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I can eat anything I ate before surgery but I don't , (well sometimes 3 french fries )

I eat lotsa of eggs and chicken , shrimp , fish , salads , veggies

I eat a 4 oz of meat and around 4 oz of veggies or salad for lunch and dinner , breakfast is usually an omelet with ether smoked salmon or cheese

snacks are greek yogurt , string cheese , protein shake  

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views