Lump in throat = acid?

ElizaM
on 10/9/14 11:18 am, edited 10/9/14 11:19 am
VSG on 07/24/14

For a week now I've had a really awful lump in the throat sensation. At first I thought it was anxiety but it didn't go away with Xanax like it would if that were the case. Then I thought I was getting a cold. But last night I googled it and see that it can be a symptom of reflux. I've searched the forums and see that I'm not alone. I will call my doctor first thing because I am so uncomfortable! Then this morning I woke up with a foul taste in my mouth which I'm pretty sure is acid.

I just want to see if anyone around here lately has experienced it, and if you were able to find a treatment that works. It really hurts and I just hope that something will work for me.

I've been on 40mg of Omeprazole since surgery.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Tracy D.
on 10/10/14 2:18 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Yup, that sure sounds like acid to me, especially with the nasty morning taste in your mouth.  

Your omeprazole may not be cutting it or your dose may need to be doubled up - not forever, but for awhile until your body adjusts to the fact that it doesn't have to produce enough acid for a full-size stomach anymore.   You may also need a prescription strength PPI.  I had to switch over to Protonix because omeprazole wasn't cutting it...and I was allergic to it!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

ElizaM
on 10/10/14 4:32 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Ok, well I spoke with a nurse in my surgeon's practice. They agreed that it was probably reflux, and I'm going to double up on the Omeprazole for now... We'll see!

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

wrwolf
on 10/10/14 2:38 pm - Bloomingdale, Uganda

Sounds like reflux.  Gaviscon tablets work well if you aren't full blown like I am.  I'll warn you that they foam in your mouth when you chew them.  Also Walmart sells the most wonderful magical medicine for $1.98 that works within a half hour.  My prescription stuff, which I absolutely have to take always. does not work fast.  It's Equate Famotidine tablets.  10 mg, acid reducer.  You find them with the Gaviscon and  other acid reducing stuff.  $1.98!!!  Definitely talk to your doctor before damage is done.

Ottawa - Referral - May 2012. Information meeting - July 20.  Nurse practitioner - Jan 9th 2013. Behaviourist and Dietician - Feb 25. Ultrasound - Apr 18. Dietician graduation - May 15th! Scope - Aug 9th. Pre-op clinic Nov 27,Meet Dr. Mamazza Dec 2. Surgery date Mar 7th 2014 with Dr. Mamazza

ElizaM
on 10/19/14 6:52 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Well, an update. 2x omeprazole is not cutting it. I am now getting major post nasal drip and congestion. I thought I really was getting a cold, but I'm now convinced I'm not. The mucus is clear (sorry, gross I know). 

Last time I talked to my doctor's office they wanted me to come in. I'm completely out of sick time and I don't want to add an appt. with them before the end of the year. Is there really anything they can do beyond prescribe a different PPI?

I'm getting really down about this.

Most Active