Start your "RE" education here

G5x5
on 10/12/14 8:41 am, edited 10/12/14 8:42 am - VA

There is so much bad nutritional information out there, and it goes way beyond our little bariatric world here.  Unfortunately, much of it starts with our doctors and dieticians who are repeating 50 year old dogma that's been overturned in the last 5-10 years.

Over the summer I invested 500+ hours of study on the subject of nutrition (and I'm still going).  It all began when something specific made me curious, and I stumbled on "a loose thread".  As I tugged and tugged on that thread it keep leading me down a path of more and more information.  Eventually, you find "the smoking gun" which is that most of the nutritional information out there is just plain wrong.  As controversial as that sounds, I can't rightly sum up 500+ hours of research in a post here.  What I can do is save you 497 hours of research and point out three very specific places that will catch you up quickly.  To that end, I created this graphic specifically to start you off.  While there are many more resources I could bring up, these will get you in the game the quickest.

Why have I done this?  Because this information is important, and all weight loss processes, including our VSGs, have a high degree of failure unless you change your lifestyle.  However, if you change your lifestyle based on misinformation, you run a very real risk of working hard but still failing.  Absorbing the information shown in these videos will educate you on exactly how each and every one of got fat in the first place.  In fact, as you will see, probably none of us ever really had a choice.  Once you understand the process, and the pitfalls, you can very easily adjust your lifestyle and free yourself of obesity forever.  All this information is free and nothing is being sold unless you decide to read their books.

Reasons VSGs fail:

(1) We're given information but not an education - These videos will begin to fix that

(2) Making plans based on outdated information - It's like using the wrong map to get somewhere

(3) Reliance on calorie restriction processes - It's only a matter of time before they fail, even for us

(4) Belief that exercise will help with weight loss - Sorry, it doesn't, but it's still important for health

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Luvmygs
on 10/12/14 8:58 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Thank you. Very good stuff here. I just started listening to Gary Taubes and I like it, plus I understand what he's talking about. Thanks again. Can't wait to hear his entire talk.

Quanita L.
on 10/12/14 6:33 pm, edited 10/12/14 6:34 pm - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

Big Kudos to your info graphic and your research. Your information is well considered and backed up with evidence.

I do want to add most of us when researching start with a 'bee in our bonnets' or a thread - as you say it.  And generally we pick a side then we selectively search for evidence based on our chosen belief. I do this too. My research is not backed up by you tube videos  but it is also backed up by hours and hours of research over a long period of time.

I actually find this quite interesting because I assumed your 5X5 in your profile name referred to strength training and it is my belief that anyone trying to strength training should not eat a low carb diet as proposed by Taube, since it may help lose weight, but it hinders performance.

I collated information and wrote a blog post  on my findings with links to studies.

I also highly recommend articles like the following:

How Many Carbs do you Need to Build Muscle and
Why Low Carb Diets Have it All Wrong

both have relevant and recent peer reviewed studies as their basis and are not over the top or absolute about what they are saying.

The other thing I want to mention is that losing weight and what we feed our bodies is a highly emotive topic.  Almost every author who writes a book on how to lose weight, has an introduction where they explain what they say based on some scientific premise, they all sound fantastic and are usually extremely motivating to read, but if any one of them were correct for everyone, none of us would really need to be here.

We all want to help, and we all want to share what works or does not work for us.  Ultimately this journey is quite individualised and we all need to find a path that works for us from the options available.

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

G5x5
on 10/12/14 9:36 pm - VA

One area that benefits least from going LCHF is strength training.  The other is short explosive events like sprinting or short lap swimming.  Since I assume none us here are Olympic bound, and our primary concern is weight loss and better fitness, I belive the material relevant to that.  However, bear in mind four things:

(1) Reducing insulin in your body is critical to a long healthy life regardless of your weight situation.  More than half of the thin population is still metabolically unwell due to the effects of insulin.  However, they do not exhibit the weight as we do.  Obesity is one marker for the condition and carbs drive insulin.

(2) The biggest problem when people hear "low carb" is they think all carbs are being indicted.  It's really about the science of what carbs affect you.  For everyone that will be sugar and grain based carbs for certain. Neither of which are necessary for life.  There is no know disease based on charbohdrate deficency.  The rest of the carbs take experimentation to find your personal sensitivity and where the point you loose or hold weight is.

(3) As a counter to the "need carbs for strength training" you can add Peter Attia's videos to the list.  I didn't list him because the videos listed all review the science of the situation at hand.  Don't dismiss them as authors telling a good story.  Each of them has better credentials than the original nutritionists that got us into the mess.  I challenge anyone to watch these videos and see the situation the same ever again.  However, Peter's videos demonstrate that you can do just as well with nearly any level of fitness on low carbs.  Most of the "carbs for strength" is really "bro science" passed along in gyms.  The research above doesn't address that but other experts do.

(4) The argument for this doesn't end with the three gentlemen above.  I could have listed over 50 references if needed.  Remember though the purpose was to quickly direct attention to three short specific tools to rapidly bring interested persons up to speed.  From there Google and YouTube will serve them just fine for addition information.

The simplest truth is that nutrition science has been rewritten in the last 5-10 years.  It was actually on the right track before the 60's when it got derailed by the perfect storm.  Now science has fixed the errors that established grains as a base of the food pyramid.  However, in the meantime we all suffered the consequences due to our genes and their reaction.

ElizaM
on 10/12/14 11:05 pm, edited 10/12/14 11:05 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

I would also add Phinney and Volek's books. There's one on the science behind low carb living, and another on sports performance. Volek does a lot of work on sports and low carb diets.

I am just speaking from personal experience but I do strength training and (very, very) low carb and have definitely experienced an increase in strength. I am able to lift heavier weights. I am really curious to see how it goes for me.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

G5x5
on 10/13/14 1:39 am - VA

Excellent book!  Stephen Phinny and Jeff Volek are both perfect additional resources.  I would have listed them at the very top of my longer list.

Anyone interested should google "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living".  They also have plenty of YouTube videos out there.

Tracy D.
on 10/13/14 12:51 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Thank you!  I'm saving this link so I can sit down this evening and start my research.   I appreciate you sharing all the information your hard work discovered.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active