Lap Band to Sleeve

suzie2241
on 10/21/14 11:52 pm
VSG on 11/02/12

Has anyone had surgery to have their lab band removed and then had a sleeve?

A good friend just had her band taken out and wanted to have the sleeve done, but the surgeon recommends the by-pass. Curious if it's just for her specific case or if that is what most surgeons recommend.

Thanks!

Valerie G.
on 10/22/14 2:17 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The sleeve and LapBand both promote weight loss through simply eating less (although the sleeve is finding some slight metabolic edge from the part of the stomach removed).  If the patient did not get good result with the LapBand, then I wouldn't expect much more with the sleeve.

If the patient had good success with the band and had it removed for complications, then evolving to the sleeve would be the best move.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sarah V.
on 10/22/14 2:50 am

It depends on a lot of things including the surgeon's preference. There are two doctors in my surgeon's practice. One will only revise LapBands to sleeves and one will only revise LapBands to RNY. There are considerations for both.

Lap Band September 2007 / Slip discovered March 2014 after significant regain / Revised to VSG April 29, 2014

mickeymantle
on 10/22/14 4:17 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

also depends on if the band slipped , is there erosion, where and how much scar tissue 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

suzie2241
on 10/22/14 5:08 am
VSG on 11/02/12

The surgeon mentioned scarring - so I am guessing she has too much for a safe revision to the sleeve.

thanks everyone! I appreciate the input.

Hislady
on 10/22/14 6:42 am - Vancouver, WA

It is very individual and depends on what problem the band was causing. Lots of people have had no success with the band but got to their goal with the sleeve just because the band keeps you from eating healthy food much of the time. Most surgeons have a surgery they prefer, be it RNY or sleeve. Her best bet is to find an actual revision surgeon or a surgeon that does all of the 4 main surgeries. They will be able to give her a better option.

Most Active