VSG surgeon recommendations in the midwest

Thundergrrrl
on 10/23/14 1:07 pm

Has anyone been to a surgeon in Iowa, Wisconsin, or Illinois? I live in an area where I will have to drive 2-3 hours in any direction for a decent surgical practice but I'd go further for "the best". Although, there are some really top notch ones (it seems) in Des Moines and Cedar Falls so I don't have to go too far. But definitely looking to hear from people who have been happy with their surgeon in this area. 

Highest Wt: 274 / LAP-Band Low: 180 / Sleeved at 233 / Goal: 160!

nursebonnie
on 10/23/14 11:15 pm
VSG on 08/19/14

I was banded in 2010 by Mark Smolik a Mercy Weight Loss Center in Des Moines. I converted to sleeve with him in august 2014 and am very pleased. I did pretty good with the band, lost 70 pounds, kept it off. Then in april due to reflux got band out. Sleeve in August and have lost another 28 pounds. I have 18 to goal.I really liked all his staf, very helpful and they will always work you in if there is a problem.

Stacy_WLS
on 10/24/14 1:31 am

I had Dr. Tiesenga out of St. Joseph's hospital in Chicago.  I have great things to say about my surgeon and his team -- the hospital did leave some things to be desired though.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Dimplezzz2002
on 10/24/14 4:29 am

Hi Thundergrrrl...I was sleeved by Dr. Bipan Chand at Loyola Medical Center in Maywood, Il, a western suburb of the city of Chicago. Loyola has an excellent center, the Loyola Medical Center for Metabolic Surgery and Bariatric Care. The center is located in Melrose Park, just a few blocks north of the hospital. They have an excellent staff that provide wraparound services including a dietitian, a primary care physician, a psychologist, and an excellent surgical team.  

You can register for either an in-person or online seminar. There are two in-person seminars in November, the 11th and the 22nd. If you choose the online seminar it takes about 40 minutes to complete, you can then complete your Patient Information Packet, and schedule your first appointment.

Good luck to you! 

bellamorte17
on 10/24/14 3:04 pm, edited 10/24/14 3:04 pm
VSG on 09/10/14

Daniel Leslie at U of MN did mine in Mpls. U of MN is considered a center of excellence for VSG. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views