Stomach Bug with the sleeve

mrspetty
on 11/11/14 8:09 am
VSG on 03/26/14

So I have the stomach bug. I haven't vomited, but my stomach has been incredibly painful. My husband and youngest son have the same thing and have vomited quite a bit. It takes a lot to make me vomit, so I'm just grateful I didn't actually throw up.

That being said, I've had a lot of stomach pain (as well as fever, headache, chills and pain all over). I have barely eaten today. Usually, I would follow the BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) to get something in me while I fully recover. However, the carb heavy stuff is just not sitting well at all. I had one cracker and I could barely keep it down. 

I ended up eating a very small clementine and it tasted great, and I kept it down. I guess my question/thought is- how has having stomach bugs/pain since getting the sleeve been different for you? I think I'm through the worst of it, but want to be careful what I eat as to not upset my stomach, but protein just sounds way too heavy. Thoughts? Suggestions? Personal experiences to share?

Bufflehead
on 11/11/14 8:12 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I rarely get any kind of stomach bug, but when I do I stick to all natural yogurt and cottage cheese. They are (for me anyway) easy on the stomach while being high protein and sleeve friendly. The live cultures in the yogurt can also help fight that bug. Good luck!

Gwen M.
on 11/11/14 8:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is a good idea!  I'll have to keep this in mind if I get a stomach bug in the future.  Thanks!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mrspetty
on 11/11/14 8:29 am
VSG on 03/26/14

Thank you for the suggestion. I was hesitant to try dairy because it's usually something people say to avoid when sick, but it does sound like a potentially good option.

A friend dropped off some chocolate yogurt and I had a tiny bite, but it didn't sit right. I wonder if cottage cheese would be better?

Tracy D.
on 11/12/14 12:41 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Right before I hit goal I had 2 days of a crummy gastro virus including vomiting a lot on day one.  I went with soda crackers and Gatorade and tried getting a protein shake in during the mornings.  I also used Unjury Chicken Soup to sip on because it has lots of protein in it too and was warm and soothing.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

bikrchk
on 11/12/14 12:44 am

I had a GI virus a few weeks ago. No throwing up, but needed Immodium for a solid 10 days to cope. No appetite and I was afraid anything I put down there would create another "episode".  I tried to keep up on protein bars (PowerCrunch is pretty "light") and a scoop of whey in my coffee. Went to Panera several times for soup and ate P21 protein toast or part of a biscuit or roll when that sounded good.  Lost 6 pounds which has stayed off for a few weeks now. I'm technically in maintenance, but if I go down another 5 even still it wouldn't hurt my feelings. I think it's good advice whether we've had WLS or not to stay hydrated, add some G2 or other electrolyte beverage if you can tolerate it and if you're not tolerating liquids, get to the doc, you don't want to get dehydrated!

Sweat is fat crying

Most Active