Change is the amount of food

Missourimedic
on 11/11/14 6:27 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

So here I am 36 days post op and I feel like the amount of food that I can eat has change to being less than it was a week ago? I had tried to eat 3 oz of tender beef steak and could only eat 1.5 oz and that felt like WAY to much and I had lay down and slept for like 4 hours. So then I had 1 oz of soft cheese and that to was just the right amount. When I have liquids I can drink with out a problem and the same way with the SF popsicles.  

Amy M.
on 11/11/14 6:39 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

There are some days where it seems like the restriction is tighter than other days.  That's why it's so important to measure and weigh everything you eat and stop eating when you are full.

As you get further and further out from your surgery date you will start to feel more restriction as your stomach heals.  In the very beginning our stomachs lie to us about being hungry or full because the surgery severed all the nerve endings.  So as you heal you will find that your stomach is able to tell you when it's had enough.  At 36 days post op 3 ounces of steak sounds like a lot.  I'm over 3 months out and I'm still not able to eat 3 ounces of dense protein in one meal.  1-2 ounces sounds about right for how far along you are.  Obviously I don't know what your specific plan entails, but that's just my experience and my opinion.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 11/11/14 6:49 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

It sounds to me like the nerves in your stomach are healing and you're starting to feel the restriction.   This is part of the healing process and very common.

I suggest that you decrease the volume of the food you're eating.  Three ounces of beef steak this soon after surgery sounds like a lot.  I'd suggest trying one or two ounces, and make sure that you eat slowly.

Liquids are processed differently in your stomach than dense protein.  It will go through easily whereas protein will stay in your stomach while your stomach generates acid to break it down. 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Missourimedic
on 11/11/14 6:53 am
VSG on 10/06/14 with

I was wondering if that is what going on. I is weird because I eat 3 oz of Venison Steak three meals yesterday and got 100 grams of protein and it was just fine no overfilled or anything.  

lionhounds
on 11/11/14 1:24 pm - Burleson, TX

I am 27 days post op.  I feel hunger at times, but sometimes, my stomach does not feel full.  I end up eating a bite two many and throw it up. I am hardly eating anything these days.  I am lucky to get in 300-500 calories a day.  It makes sense what everyone is saying about the nerve endings healing. My taste buds have totally changed too.  What I used to love, I can't stand even the smell of it.

ladygodiva1228
on 11/12/14 2:51 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On November 11, 2014 at 2:53 PM Pacific Time, Missourimedic wrote:

I was wondering if that is what going on. I is weird because I eat 3 oz of Venison Steak three meals yesterday and got 100 grams of protein and it was just fine no overfilled or anything.  

Venison and beef are two totally different meats.  I can see one being able to eat 3oz of venison over 3oz of beef.  Beef seems to be more dense than venison.   Now the question is should you be eating 3oz at a time of steak at your stage of post op?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

rumpole6
on 11/11/14 7:22 am

I haven't tried steak, but I am able to eat chuck pot roast 3 oz, but it does fill me up.

I'm around 30 days post-op.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

navyrob74
on 11/11/14 8:54 am - Pasadena, MD

My doctor has told me liquids will always be easier to take as they really don't fill you like dense protein will, Also it take several weeks for the nerves to return to normal to give you the feeling of fullness. It may be the beef was a lot more dense then you have had recently and that is why you were full only after a little. If it starts to become a problem I would definitely be calling the doctor.

Tracy D.
on 11/12/14 12:47 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You're probably advancing your diet much too fast.  At just a little more than one month out there was no way that me or my husband could have eaten 3 oz. of beef...or beef at all.  It took me months to work up to that and I can just eat 4 oz. now with a little bit of veggies.  

So, yeah...soft stuff is going to be fine and you should be able to drink liquids with no problem at this point.  But you should be limiting yourself right now to no more than 1-2 oz. of dense protein at a time, whether or not you think it makes you "full".  

I keep reading your posts and see you pushing the limits right and left with food and exercise.  I am gently and kindly advising you to STOP IT!   You are going to hurt yourself.  Go slow and take the advice on these boards to heart.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

GoBlueGirl1998
on 11/12/14 2:54 am - MI

I'll be three weeks Friday and I was wondering when this would start to happen and when the nerves start to heel. I try and keep all my portions 3 ounces right now. It will be interesting to see the change.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views