I'm Officially a VET -almost

diane S.
on 11/16/14 4:31 am

Ok I am jumping the gun by one day (will be traveling tomorrow) and celebrating my 5 year vsg anniversary today!!   What a great 5 years this has been. I had an easy surgery and recovery, was a slow but steady loser, and ended up about 15 pounds below my doctors goal of 135.  Today I am at 121.5. My peak weight was 247 and surgery weight 230. I have ditched my bp meds and cholesterol meds.  I feel great and liberated of excess weight that kept me from doing so many simple things.  I was 58 years old when I had surgery so don't let anyone tell you you are too old.

I've learned a few things - that food is not the be-all end-all thing it used to be. That it can still be great and enjoyable like a delicious crab cake or a fine piece of ahi or fresh grown veggies or a great cup of quality coffee.

My maintenance secrets are :  the work I do which is ceramic art is deeply fascinating to me and keeps my hand engaged so I don't keep thinking of ways to get away from my desk like eating.  I eat greek yogurt every day for breakfast and a lite lunch of cheese and grapes or some nuts.  I have a glass of wine before dinner and eat dinner on the later side.  If I want an evening snack its some nuts or skim milk. Don't always get as much protein as I should but will work on that.  And I still really work at the hydration and keep bottled water in my car at all times.  Mostly I just remind myself of how much I hated being fat and how much it impacted my life.  Makes it easier to stay away from refined carbs.  I pretty much eat no bread, pasta or rice which helps a lot.

I am grateful to OH for all the information I got and contacts I made when researching this surgery. There were not so many people back then doing this and I am thankful I could ask questions to Elina, McMadame and Frisco and others who were before me. I am also grateful to Dr. Cirangle for doing an excellent surgery and following up these 5 years.  I have my 5 year follow up in a couple of weeks and feel like making a party out of it.

Anyone out there thinking of this, do it!  Read my blog page for my story. Its so worth it.   Diane

P.S.  DH had his 3 year aniversary 2 days ago. He is doing great too.

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

jenn1469
on 11/16/14 4:53 am

Wow you are inspiring and thank you for that great job

Jennifer

November18
on 11/16/14 5:01 am
VSG on 11/18/14

Such a wonderful story and very inspiring to me. Congratulations! You have done a wonderful job. I'm getting ready to go on Tuesday and pray that I am as successful as you. I was 63 yesterday and do feel old for the surgery but I am so tired of struggling to get this weight off I have to give it a try. Thank you for sharing.

Bonnie

Gwen M.
on 11/16/14 5:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Congrats on your great success!  It sounds like you're doing fantastically well.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

weeziebeth
on 11/16/14 5:18 am

Thank you for sharing-what an incredible journey!

HW 285 SW 248 CW 218  Surgery date: 12/2/14                 "Life itself is the proper binge." Julia Child      

"Never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.''  Winston Churchill

TexasTerritory
on 11/16/14 5:35 am
VSG on 07/22/13
Congrats

SFChorus
on 11/16/14 6:00 am - CA

Congrats, Diane!  Well done.

Sleeved 12/15/11, 5'1", HW 185, SW 164, CW102

greensleeved
on 11/16/14 6:10 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

Congratulations! Always great to hear stories about long term success.

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

Luvmygs
on 11/16/14 6:13 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Diane, you look amazing! Thank you for your wonderful blog, I enjoyed reading and made note of your almond recipe. Sounds very delicious! I'm due for surgery on Dec. 4th and your story makes me very excited. Thank you again and continue to have success with your sleeve. Christine

Spencerella
on 11/16/14 10:26 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Congrats Diane!  You are such an inspiration to me, and you continue to give me hope that I can do this longer term.  I'm so glad your in my life!

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views