Long car rides after surgery

November18
on 11/23/14 2:55 am
VSG on 11/18/14

Hi, everyone! Asking for advice again. I was just sleeved 5 days ago and I'm trying decide if I should travel from PA to Boston for Thanksgiving at my daughters. It it normally about a 6 hour trip but the day before Thanksgiving it could turn into double that. I heard you have to worry about blood clots after surgery; I'm just not sure how long after surgery. I asked my surgeon the day after and he kind of just chuckled and said we will see how you feel when I see you next Tuesday. My original plan was to stay home and let my husband, son, and daughter-in-law go without me. Today I'm not feeling all that badly except I would like to eat something. LOL! Did anyone do a significant travel event right after surgery?

Bonnie

ElizaM
on 11/23/14 3:13 am
VSG on 07/24/14

My surgeon told me blood clots were a risk for a month after surgery and prescribed at least 5 evenly spaced walks a day, every day. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Bufflehead
on 11/23/14 4:29 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

My surgeon told me that every hour in the car, I needed to stop, get out, and walk for ten minutes.

kaffbeau
on 11/23/14 8:17 am

I took a 5 3/4 hrs flight from San Diego to Boston then drove to Maine 4 days after surgery.....Just wore compression stockings and walked around as much as I could.

White Dove
on 11/23/14 8:18 am - Warren, OH

Not a good idea at all.  You need to be moving around to prevent the risk of clots, not sitting in a car for six-twelve hours.  I feel bad that you are going to  be left behind though.  Is there a friend that you could spend the day with?

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

frisco
on 11/23/14 6:59 pm

Stay home.....

Relax with no distractions, concentrate on fluids, walking and taking care of yourself.

Putting yourself on other peoples schedule so soon doesn't sound fun at all.

The car ride..... not good.

Now, the thought of the comforts of home while your healing..... lounging around in comfy clothes, sip sip sip, walk walk walk..... movies, reading, tv, internet..... get a little tired and you can nap on the couch and ding ding ding.... your bathroom is right there !!!!

Just think about next Thanksgiving after a year of WL !!!!!

My surgery was close to the holidays and although family is local it was just OK with a lot of unknowns, but every year since has been very enjoyable and the unknowns are very few and I had a good control on just about every aspect.

Look at staying home this year as part of your recovery and very much a positive and look forward to next year!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Char1Char
on 11/23/14 9:25 pm

Agree that you should stay home. Blood clots are life threatening. I don't think doctors emphasize this enough - at least mine didn't. It happened to me after surgery (called pulmonary embolism) and I almost died. Move, move, move. Now I have to take Warfarin and have to get my blood tested every week....not to mention how painful and scary it is to not be able to breathe because you have clots in your lungs preventing you from being able to take a breath.

Good luck and stay healthy.

November18
on 11/23/14 11:36 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

That is sounding like the smart thing to do and the way I am leaning. I'm doing pretty well and don't want to jinx it. If I don't feel well I rather be in my own bed and I don't want to put a damper on anyone else's time. Funny thing , I'm also dying to eat. probably won't be a good idea to have to smell that food! Thanks!

Bonnie

Valerie G.
on 11/23/14 9:40 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

There are many who fly home from Mexico within a week, so if you feel up to it, I don't see why you can't handle a drive.  I would recommend stopping to walk a little along the way and pack your essentials in the car with you, so you don't go too long without fluids or food.  Bring a pillow to hold to your stoma*****ase of bumpy roads.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

November18
on 11/23/14 11:30 pm
VSG on 11/18/14

Thanks!

Bonnie

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 59 views