Potassium deficiency?

Capegin
on 11/25/14 7:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I had VSG three months ago, and I've been feeling amazing and loving EVERYTHING about this new life!  That said, about two weeks ago, I started getting really tired, having trouble sleeping, and feeling general malaise, which I hadn't experienced at all since well before my surgery.  Also, I'm having some muscle soreness and leg and foot cramps, especially at night.  Sometimes it wakes me up!  I've heard this can happen with a potassium deficiency, and that can be common in people who have had bariatric surgery, and I'm wondering if that's the case?  I was thinking I'm going to call my surgeon's office today, but in the mean time I was just curious if anyone else had experienced this?

Thanks, and take care this Thanksgiving!  Be well!!

Tracy D.
on 11/25/14 10:56 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It could be a variety of vitamin/mineral deficiencies.  Calcium deficiency can cause these kinds of symptoms too.  Hope they can figure it out quickly for you.  

Happy Thanksgiving to you too! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Valerie G.
on 11/25/14 11:14 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

You should be ready for some bloodwork to see your nutritional levels.  That will tell you exactly what's going on.  An easy one to check for yourself is how much fluids you're drinking.  Are you getting your 64oz?  Dehydration leads to serious fatigue, soreness and cramping if extreme.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MarcyisMyName
on 11/26/14 4:55 am

I had this same problem start at exactly three months. The PA told me to pick up some potassium supplements at the local store. One pill that day and the cramps were gone from then out. Good luck to you!

Most Active