One year!

Annievvho
on 11/28/14 8:18 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

I have not been on in a good long while. Let me see if I can catch everyone (who cares) up to speed. It has been a year since my surgery, and I have lost between 135 and 140 lbs. I seem to have reached somewhat of a "maintenance" here over the last several months. This disappoints me greatly, because I am somewhere around 30-35 lbs from my goal, but I still know that it is possible to reach it, and it's my fault I haven't. I was most certainly a rock star on this journey for the first 6 months. Then I started having some physical problems, and it caused me a lot of stress. I had found a replacement for my stress eating habit in physical activity, but my new pain started to affect the pleasure I got from my exercise, and limited my ability to perform it. I addressed it with my doctor, but with my tiny tummy and my newfound acid issues, NSAIDS are not an option. It has taken months to find out that the issue I have been having - intense pain in my right hip - is most likely caused by a rare genetic abnormality that caused a bone deformity called fibrous dysplasia. There's no cure, and it's most commonly treated with surgery, which I don't want. When it hurts too much to exercise, I have turned some to my old friend, food. I haven't gone all out crap food and mass quantities like I used to, but I have gone off of my super strict plan on occasion, and I know if I want to lose more, I can't stay on that path. I am also struggling with the disappointment of what the diagnosis means and the fact that I was supposed to get healthier, not discover new health problems.

All that said, I am happy that I have achieved all that I have over the last year. It has been an incredible journey that I would do over again in a heart beat. I am so grateful to my doctors, family, friends, and all the other members of my team. I'm looking forward to developing a plan here in the next few weeks and getting these last lbs off to get to goal. I appreciate all of you and the support I have found on here. Any advice or words of wisdom/encouragement are greatly appreciated!

frisco
on 11/28/14 9:18 am

Congrats on a year !

Any way you look at it....that is major WL and if you had not lost that weight I'm going to guess that your current issues would be much worse.

I know that you know what's up and you know how to correct it with a solid plan. PM me if you want to go over it !

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Annievvho
on 11/28/14 12:07 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

Thanks so much, Frisco! You have been a great inspiration to me through this whole process! I do know what I need to do, the biggest of which needs to be meal planning. I am a lot less likely to stray if I have good food to eat for each meal. 

Interestingly, the doctor said if I hadn't become so active with high impact activities, I may never have known about this problem, that is until my huge excess amounts of weight caused other problems needing an x-ray down the road. The challenge I struggle with is deciding what is the lesser of the evils I face. Surgery means limited mobility for who knows how long. No surgery means continued pain and the measures we take to avoid it (limping, limiting movement, avoiding movement) which could both give way to laziness again or further injure my hip or other parts of my body. 

And I would like to add that I went from having low HDL to having a phenomenal HDL level, largely in part to do with how active I've been. Having my health screening done at work (and passing all criteria) this year when I was over 300 lbs when I had it done last year was so incredible!

Gwen M.
on 11/28/14 11:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm sorry you've had such a setback.  A friend of mine actually has fibrous dysplasia as well and surgery has been such a boon for her.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Annievvho
on 11/28/14 12:09 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

I am concerned about what surgery would entail as far as recovery. Again, I'm a wimp. If you wouldn't mind terribly, could you ask her how long recovery takes and what the surgery does for her pain?

Most Active