How long until we can eat popcorn?

Carolyn W.
on 12/1/14 1:36 pm

Hey guys :)

I had my surgery on September 29th (so I'm 2 months and 2 days out) and I was wondering when it's okay to eat a bit of popcorn? I'm on an unrestricted diet now, but I know some people have had problems with popcorn. 

Thanks in advance :)

DSJSMOM23
on 12/1/14 1:47 pm
VSG on 06/24/14

I specifically asked my team this question, and I was told to wait at least 6 months.
I WILL be trying it on December 24 (my 6 months) LOL

I love popcorn, and I miss it!

*I realize each program is different, this is just what mine says :)

Carolyn W.
on 12/1/14 2:01 pm

I miss popcorn too!!! I think I should probably give my team a call tomorrow and see what they say! Popcorn is one of my favorite foods so it would be nice to be able to have a little bit here and there. 

DSJSMOM23
on 12/1/14 2:13 pm
VSG on 06/24/14

Do you have old dutch popcorn twists where you are? I'm in Canada, and we have them. I have a few here and there when I am REALLY missing popcorn.

They help curb the craving. They do taste similar to popcorn without the kernels.

ald731
on 12/1/14 8:25 pm
VSG on 04/07/14

I tried it for the first, and only (so far, at least), time when I was about 6 months post-op. Once I discovered that I can eat a LOT of popcorn at one time - especially considering I was barely eating 2oz of protein at that point - I have left it alone. It is for sure a slider food, it really doesn't have any nutritional value, and it made me crave other carbs, so I would be wary of picking up that habit this early in the game.

April:  HW- 323, SW-310, CW-159 (as of 9/25/15), Goal- 140; Pre-op (-13), M1 (-17), M2 (-16), M3 (-14), M4 (-13), M5 (-12), M6 (-8), M7 (-12), M8 (-8), M9 (-8), M10 (-5), M11 (-7), M12 (-5), M13 (-7), M14 (-0), M15 (-1), M16 (-5), M17 (-5)

GoBlueGirl1998
on 12/1/14 9:31 pm - MI

I'm going thru skinny pop withdrawals!! I see my NUT thursday and this is one of the questions I have for her!

wyo_sarah
on 12/1/14 10:57 pm

I'm 4 months post op and have had popcorn twice.  I got a kids portion at the movies when I saw Big Hero 6 with my daughter.  I didn't eat it all, but I ate way more than I should have and ended up not being able to eat dinner because I was so full of popcorn.  That was a few weeks ago.  I ate a few handfuls this weekend when we were driving in the car for 10 hours and my kids were eating it.  I couldn't resist.  :(  Thankfully it doesn't make me sick, and I'm glad to know that even though I can't resist some, I can stop when I know I've eaten enough.  And, I will make sure I have protein first, which was my problem the first time.

Stacy_WLS
on 12/2/14 12:18 am

I'm almost a year post op and I know I could have popcorn, but I wont open that door.  It was a major junk treat for me and I know there would be no restriction with it.  If you are a food addict be careful of letting these things back in your diet.

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Carolyn W.
on 12/2/14 3:07 am

Im not a huge popcorn fan (rarely ate it before surgery) but now I'm thinking it might be a gateway food and lead me to other bad snacks. Thanks for the advice! I'm not even going to bother with it.

harris30
on 12/2/14 12:33 am - Nashville, TN

I'm with Stacy WLS on this.  Any food that you are longing for... particularly a carb.... don't even go there.   You can live without popcorn and if you "have" to have it or miss having it - it is probably one of your trigger foods.  After you have stayed away a few times without upset.... you train your brain that "we aren't going there anymore.   Use this time to get off your food addictions and lose as much weight as you can. the question is always:  How little can I eat?  NOT  How much can I eat?   Protein and Water are the two most important things to get in.  The rest is re-training the brain.     That's what this tool is for.   Use it wisely!  :)    Harris

(I had RNY on July 10th and have lost 110 lbs. so far - keeping carb intake at under 10 a day)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 60 views