Sleeve Leak problems

Jack Allen
on 12/3/14 10:12 pm - Leesburg, VA

Just wondering how many people have experienced leaks and or other problems with the sleeve.

Had my consultation with my Dr yesterday and he said that the bypass is safer (less staple lines = less leak problems).

I have always wanted the sleeve but benefits and risks make the bypass sound better.

Just curious your experience.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/3/14 10:20 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

My surgeon told me the exact opposite. Sleeve being a less complicated surgery without the intestinal bypass, it (sleeve) is much safer and has fewer longer term complications. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Jack Allen
on 12/3/14 10:27 pm - Leesburg, VA

My dr has done a ton of sleeves but was talking about statistics for all surgeries for the sleeve. My Dr also uses a mesh that goes over the stomach and the staples go through the mesh and stomach when making the staple line which helps prevent leaks.

My dr is willing to do the sleeve.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/3/14 10:32 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Haven't heard of that technique before (mesh). What is your doctor's specific leak rate? Overall stats are interesting but what you are really interested in are the stats for your own surgeon. If you have a choice that is. When I spoke to mine (and why he became mine..) he told me that he hadn't had a single leak in the 7 years prior to my surgery. So that was a good enough stat for me. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Jack Allen
on 12/3/14 10:36 pm - Leesburg, VA

My dr's leak rate is the best in the Northern Virginia area.  No leaks for 741 surgeries Bypass and Sleeve.

He said that leak problems in the bypass are 1 out of every 1000, and for sleeve 1% of every 1000.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/3/14 10:47 pm, edited 12/3/14 10:47 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Then the leak issue is a non issue. Why is he then advocating for the bypass using the leak risk as a reason?

Jack Allen
on 12/3/14 10:50 pm - Leesburg, VA

I don't know. Im 6'7" tall 340 and maybe he thinks I will have better success with the bypass. for 5-10% less weigh loss I'd rather have the sleeve.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 12/3/14 11:01 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Wow.. you are tall!!! How much weight do you need to lose? I am 5 ft 0 and lost close to 100 lbs in about two years or so with the sleeve. It was a completely stress free easy journey with zero complications or issues of any kind other than having to get a new wardrobe. This having been said, there are merits to all the different weight loss surgery options and maybe there are specific medical reasons as to why your doctor is recommending the RNY for you. You should really get some very clear answers to all your questions from your surgeon.

grayC
on 12/3/14 10:25 pm
VSG on 05/01/13

My surgeon also told me the exact opposite..

the bypass is a much more complicated surgery with all the re-routing 

involved..I'm curious if your Dr is more accomplished in Bypass than sleeve

and maybe that's why he spun it that way..

I had a friend who had a leak..it's no fun and it doesn't happen often 

but he's OK now. 

Jack Allen
on 12/3/14 10:28 pm - Leesburg, VA

Ive never liked the rerouting idea and agree that it is more complicated.  The sleeve is easier. I'm still leaning towards the sleeve.

Most Active